Multi part G Code question

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
pjyarnall

Multi part G Code question

Postby pjyarnall » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:33 pm

A colleague and I, both with Pro 2 printers, want to create a G Code file that will allow us to print multiple instances of a small part during a single print session, but we want to print the parts sequentially, not simultaneously. For the best part aesthetics and layer bond quality, (we will be using a carbon filled filament), each part must print start to finish before beginning the next part.

By locating each instance on the bed appropriately it is possible to avoid collisions with the previous finished parts. We would probably opt for four to six parts on the bed so we could start a session at the end of the day and it would be finished the next morning.

IM allows multiple parts, but the slicer really treats the collection as one part, so the extruder does a layer, (or two), per instance and then moves to the next part and repeating. (If there is a feature in IM that allows sequential part printing please point it out to me)!

I have no previous experience editing G Code so I am seeking feedback from the community. My idea is to create the individual part-at-location G Code files, then use an editor to combine the individual G Code files, in the proper order, into one big file. Is there any reason this would not work? If I understand how the G Code is structured, I would need to remove the "end code" section from the first part file, then paste in the second part code sans the "start" and "end" code, repeat for each sequential part-at-location, then add the "end" code to the last part in the series. Am I on the right path here?

I just installed a copy of Repetier-Host. It has the ability to see and edit imported G Code, (as well as doing slicing using Slic3r, though I would not be using that capability).

I welcome all thoughts, comments, and suggestions regarding my approach, editors, you name it, and I thank you all in advance!
Pro 2

EldRick

Re: Multi part G Code question

Postby EldRick » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Use a different slicer. iM has a number of shortcomings, and sequential printing is probably the most major missing function.

Among "free" slicers, Cura is king of the hill, followed by Slic3r and Kisslicer. All three offer sequential printing as well as other useful features, such as variable layer height.

dm7864

Postby dm7864 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:06 pm

I also like simplify3d

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:51 am

Thanks very much guys.... I will take a look at Cura tomorrow. I looked at g code for a very simple part to contemplate joining several files and while feasible it is a lot of work and prone to error compared to a slicer that has the capability built in.
Pro 2

Return to “Others”