Clogging during a print

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
sgeolog

Re: Clogging during a print

Postby sgeolog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for your response. So many questions...
Yes, sometimes i tried to push filament when it is not extruding. Even after clogging I tried to reload and pushed filament a little - does not work. I have to unload first and load again. After unloading the tip is usually expands not less then 1.25 times.
I changed few nozzles and used new ones. I don't think something is inside. When I load filament it goes very easy. I am not sure about ooze. Checked one more time and attached few photos. Something is black stuck on filament. But again, I was using different nozzles (new) and if I am printing with Polymaker PLA or your standard PLA no clogging. Also, I printed few details on Makerboot with the same filament, the same color - no problems.

Thank you
Sergey
Attachments
20170322_111136.jpg
20170322_110823.jpg
20170322_110650.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Sergey,

Have you ever tried different temperature for this filament?
For the nozzle, doesn't mean that there is something inside nozzle, but maybe the nozzle is not well sealed with the throat tube. So need to check whether there is any filament on the touching surface between.

Please advise whether only this color doesn't work for you. Or also have others.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 pm

black junk can be ash from dust sticking to filament. It is burned up in hotend but won't pass through. Try removing nozzle, heat to cherry red with a propane torch, blow out all the ash and send a tiny wire through the nozzle before replacing.

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Vicky,

Of course I tried to change temperature (from 205 to 225). Yes, it is clogging with different colors. With some colors it does more, with some less.
Nozzle - Basically, I warm the printer, then change nozzle. i believe it goes all a way up. I do not see any leaking.
Unfortunately I am not spending a lot of time with printing because I am a drafter and printing is only one of my responsibilities. I cannot test everything you guys advising. I told you ones, to sale hot ends with different diameter nozzles. For people like us, it could be very helpful because we do not have a lot of tools. I order PETG filament. I want to try it also. Next week i will print the same detail there

Thank you
Sergey

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Just clogged again. Can not print even a raft. Removed a plastic cover which holds filament next to extruder. Let's see what happen
Attachments
20170324_115719.jpg

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Hello,

What is the filament causing the issue ?

is the inner diameter of the guiding tube 2mm or 3mm (raise recently change to 3 mm) ?
One time, i had similar problem with a filament that was a little more than 1.75 and maybe a little bit rough surface : lot of friction along the tube (2mm) and clogged issues..

I had also the case with protopasta PLA/CF that dry quickly and don't like over extrusion, maybe you can try to set flowrate - 10% just to see if it clogged. And maybe decrease object cooling... if it's "dry", you can also lower the speed to improve the heating of the filament.
Do you mesure filament diameter ?

If there's dust or something in the nozzle, you can run atomic method http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/10-the

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Hello,

I am using Colorful PLA 1.75mm from Raise 3D. I think you are correct about friction because filament is not perfect and it is bending a little here there. We just received 4 new spools of the same color. Before we printed some details with this color and did not have as many clogging problems as we have now. Now, I removed clear plastic cover of the front of the extruder and it is printing already about few hours. It is not easy to measure Diameter but i would say it is 1.77. When this printing is done, I'll try to decrease flowrate. Speed i am printing with 30-40mm/sec.

Thank you
Sergey

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Printed 3 hours 45 minutes and clogged again.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:00 pm

You remove the guiding tube also ? try to remove it
You did calibration cube ? your extrusion is good ?
Is the upper surface during the print seems dry ?
The issue happens on every parts or are there many consecutive retractations on this one ? what are your retraction settings ?

Maybn try a new spool because you may had a bad one ?

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:41 pm

the ends of the guide tubes get narrower over time, snip off the last 2cm and try again.

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:53 am

Most of all metal hotend will have issue with standard PLA because of constant retraction, causing filament which get soften clogged in the thermal tube. Polymaker PLA or Raise3D Premium (Polymaker OEM) have higher temp glass transition, so it can retain its form better in thermal tube.

You can try to turn off retraction, it should help but in exchange for stringing issue on the printed object.

For long print, I will suggest you to use Raise3D Premium PLA or other high temp PLA, save time and unnecessary costs.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 pm

BTW I have found that I can't use makergeeks pla for this reason, 2 complete isolation tube clogs - one teardown pulled my thermocouple apart because the leads are too short.

you may want to try another brand of PLA, raise PLA is the best I have used

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Hello All,

Thank you for your responses.
We printing one detail with the same filament and never have problems. I printed it during weekend just to be sure it prints. It was printed. So, I decided to change setting closer to default.
Now it is printing already more than 3 hours. Most important change, I think, is changing X/Y Axis Movement speed. I believe it is exactly what Ben Roj said. It moves faster and less time to stay without extruding. Of course I understand we can use different type of filament but I want to use this one. We have about 20 spools.

Thank you

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Hello,
I printed my first piece with was about 10 hours. Started another one with is 13+ hours.

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:33 pm

I believe it clogged in very end. I thought it finished but later i see it is stopped extruding 3-4 lawyers before finish. :(
At least I know where is the problem. And looks like i am done with Colorful PLA.

Thank you everybody for help

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Still clogging. After few weeks started again, even with Polymaker Filament...

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Vicky,

Can you enplane please how to get ticket for support? Maybe there is something with hot end or extruder, or something else...

Thank you
Sergey

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:14 am

Here is the link:
http://help.raise3d.com/support/home

And press "New support ticket" at right top corner.

Return to “Others”