Y axis coupler - catastrophic failure

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Y axis coupler - catastrophic failure

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:26 am

RLH_3D wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We are so sorry about the problem you meet. For the previous 48-hour printing, does it show any abnormal on your model, such as wobbles, shiftings which may due to the misalignment of the coupler?
Shoot us a ticket, we will help check your problem and share warranty parts and instruction with you there.

Thank you for the quick response Vicky!
I didn't notice anything prior to the failure. My first impression when looking at the coupler (without taking anything apart) looked to me (as seen in my photo) like the motor and shaft are misaligned by several millimeters as can be seen by the separation (top vs bottom) of the coupler where it failed. This seems like perhaps something shifted down perhaps the motor due to it's weight during shipping (I would guess)

I did contact Matterhakers (where I originally purchased the Printer) and got a quick response to my email, they said they would contact you (Rais3d) to see how you would like to proceed. I'll go ahead and send you a private message (if I can) with the contact info they provided so that you'll know who is on the case. :-) I believe I can replace the part myself, however I will leave it up to you to decide the best way to proceed.

Thank you again.

Shoot us a support ticket, so that our support team can get in touch with you more conveniently with the following link: http://help.raise3d.com/helpdesk

RLH_3D

Postby RLH_3D » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:22 am

I received my replacement coupler yesterday (actually I was sent two!, thanks too Matterhackers and Raise3D staff working together).
I was able to replace the Y axis coupler without any problems.
I have been repairing most everything imaginable for the the better part of my entire life so really didn't run into anything that made me feel uncomfortable.

I checked all of the bolts associated to the Y axis in an attempt to make sure they were tight as well as try to determine what could have slipped if anything to create the misalignment. I came up with two possibilities (my opinion of course) first it may just have been assembled that way at the factory for whatever reason, second I did determine that (at least on this Y axis motor) the screws holding the motor to it's bracket were noticeably less tight than any of the others, not loose but I believe perhaps enough to cause a slip in location if for some reason the Y axis rod would encounter an above normal stress point (hit the end of it's movable range without shutting down etc.)
In this image you can see that I detached the flexable Print head arm to better rotate the top cover out of the way and to not put stress on the cables.
IMG_0683.jpg

At any rate I would like to state that I am very impressed with the overall build quality and factory assembly of the unit as I did inspect the other axis and mechanics in general while I had the unit apart.
Here I have rotated the top cover to also take a look at the other axis.
IMG_0684.jpg

Below is the new coupler aligned & installed, I admit, I did have help from my chief quality inspector (mainly wire tie inspector).
IMG_0686.jpg

Thanks again Raise3D (Vicky?) and MatterHacker Staff !

RLH_3D

Postby RLH_3D » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:23 am

Oh, and I did fully assemble and print out my new avatar as seen in this post. :-)
Works like a charm :-) !!!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:08 am

Thanks for your update!
And the baby groot looks really cute!

Return to “Others”