How IM prioritizes shells - Please reduce travel moves

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
zemlin

How IM prioritizes shells - Please reduce travel moves

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 pm

One major thing with IM that keeps me running S3D is the way IM prints shells. I have a part with 50 small holes and I'm printing it with 3 shell layers. IM will print the first shell on each hole, and then to each hole to print the second shell, again for the third shell. For each hole there are three travel moves and three retractions/restarts. I'm printing this part in PETG and all the travel moves between all the holes with each perimeter shell layer is creating a lot of stringing. It also seems like a significant waste of time.

S3D will print all three shells for each hole before moving to the next. It's doing 1/3rd of the travel moves, retractions, etc. The result is a much cleaner print and it also prints faster.

Watching the machine draw the hex infill it is making pointless travel moves there too.
It draws two contiguous lines in a U pattern, then skips one to start the next U, the second leg of the U is the gap it just left. The machine should simply zig-zag all the way across the part without stopping, only needing to fill the gaps that result from holes or islands.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: How IM prioritizes shells - Please reduce travel moves

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:15 am

The request has been already taken notes in the list.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5928&p=24563#p24426

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”