issue with pause and resume functions

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Jab136

issue with pause and resume functions

Postby Jab136 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:49 pm

so last night, I paused a print that had been running for over 30 hours because I wasn't sure there was enough filament left to complete it overnight, I tried to turn the nozzle down during the pause, but it wouldn't come down, then I came in this morning and it had dropped to 40 degrees (the bed was still hot and it was enclosed so that was ambient) I tried turning it back up but that was unsuccessful, I even tried running load and unload to get it back to a functioning temperature, but those wouldn't work either. So I resumed the print at 40 degrees hoping that there was something in the function to bring it back up to temperature before actually resuming, but that didn't work, so I hastily tried to pause it again to continue troubleshooting but accidentally stopped it instead. there goes 300 grams of filament and 2 days of print time...

so there are a few features that I would suggest adding to the firmware
1. when paused, have an option to pause and turn off the nozzle (or just allow for the tune functions to operate while it is paused)
2. when resuming add a check that it is at the temperature in the gcode

Edit: also, this is the second print failure that I can directly attribute to not having filament out detection (the last one was actually air printing, this one was trying to avoid a repeat of the previous failure...) I know you are working on a modification, but I am just frustrated that it wasn't developed earlier...

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: issue with pause and resume functions

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:00 am

Turning off nozzle temperature after pause automatically has been already added into developing list.

Before resuming the print after pause, the preheating process should be carried out every time, like starting a new print. The nozzles and heated bed will reach to target temperature values first, then move the extruder into the printing area.

After you stop the last print task after failure, does the heating function of the nozzle back to normal?
If so, trigger another pause in next print as a test and edit the nozzle temperature and resume. If it directly starts without heating, please export the serial logs and share with us.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:28 am

the bed was still at 110 degrees which is good, because if it drops below about 70 degrees, my material pops right off the build surface. But I was unable to pre-heat the nozzle. as soon as I stopped the print it went into the load screen. but I have run several prints since then and I don't know if that issue will still be in the serial logs.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 am

I just paused the current print, and tried to drop the temperature to 0, but it just reverted to 250, then I tried 230 and again, it reverted to 250, then I resumed and it dropped to 230 while printing (it didn't wait during the restart process). I have attached the serial log.
Attachments
raisetouch-system-786-20180308113625.tar.gz
(26.78 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:59 am

Jab136 wrote:I just paused the current print, and tried to drop the temperature to 0, but it just reverted to 250, then I tried 230 and again, it reverted to 250, then I resumed and it dropped to 230 while printing (it didn't wait during the restart process). I have attached the serial log.

Just as a note I get the "lag" behaviour in the UI on the printer a lot when changing values during print.
And it seams to be worse the longer the print is, or the more settings I change.
Noticed this during temp tower printing. For example. The printer is printing at 210°. I change the temp on the printer screen to 215°. The temp on the screen reverts back to 210°. But if I wait a while (seconds to minutes) the 215° input will be accepted and changed on screen. So there is some kind of lagging when entering new inputs on the screen.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Noren wrote:
Jab136 wrote:I just paused the current print, and tried to drop the temperature to 0, but it just reverted to 250, then I tried 230 and again, it reverted to 250, then I resumed and it dropped to 230 while printing (it didn't wait during the restart process). I have attached the serial log.

Just as a note I get the "lag" behaviour in the UI on the printer a lot when changing values during print.
And it seams to be worse the longer the print is, or the more settings I change.
Noticed this during temp tower printing. For example. The printer is printing at 210°. I change the temp on the printer screen to 215°. The temp on the screen reverts back to 210°. But if I wait a while (seconds to minutes) the 215° input will be accepted and changed on screen. So there is some kind of lagging when entering new inputs on the screen.

I only get it during pauses, my current print is over 96 hours and uses more than 1 kg of material (I have loaded ABS into both nozzles and have it switching nozzles during the print so that I don't have to worry about it running out, or pausing and switching spools during the print). as soon as I noticed that it had dropped to 230 degrees, I switched it back to 250 and it immediately reacted. fortunately, it was printing the raft, so print quality issues from the random temperatures shouldn't affect the final product...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:53 am

Last time you tried to close nozzle heating during night, did you remember when the next day you come back to check the nozzle temperature at 40C, what was the target number of nozzle at that time?
40C was the current temperature value of nozzle, right?

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:41 pm

40 c was the current temperature, the nozzle was set at 0, so 40 was ambient in the enclosed volume.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:23 pm

So when you reached to the machine you saw the temperature icon for left nozzle has 40C above and 0C below, right?
But tries to input the value to be higher, the below value was keeping staying at 0C and the right temperature of nozzle was stuck at 40C before resuming printing?

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:54 pm

correct

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:55 pm

additionally, the load function went into the load screen and showed 40 degrees, but wouldn't rise even after a few minutes.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 am

We will try to develop a beta version of firmware to try to collect more error information from printing these days.
Is it possible to ask for your help to carry out the same operation as you did before with this firmware? Lower the temperature overnight and heat it up the next day?

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm

probably not, I am using the printer to produce parts for my graduate research and can't really spare the time.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 am

Or what about we share you the beta version, you just upgrade the firmware and use as normal. If the problem happens again in future, then you export the log and share with me to analysis?

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:15 pm

I would rather not use beta firmware on a printer that I don't personally own.

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”