automatic shutdown at end of print

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Casale8

Re: automatic shutdown at end of print

Postby Casale8 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 pm

AJM wrote:For about the same price as Fritzdect200 you could get an old Vera (or most any) home controller and a smart outlet. Each additional outlet is about $30, so it immediately becomes cheaper when used with more than one printer. It does not have the problem of unwanted shutdown (like during firmware update) and you can program it the way you want.
The way I have setup is that it powers-down when Raise3D-N2 is 33W or below for a minute, but only if I am not in the same room. Also, it does not arm itself for power-down unless the printer actually start printing. This way, it won't shutdown while sending a file over. When the power-down occurs it announces "Print complete" by voice if I am in the same room, else it sends me a text message. For the printer I use often, I even power it up automatically when I go near it.
You just can't do something like this with Fritzdect200. Yep, I am lazy. But I do try to minimize wasted electricity.

The issues I have to compete with this set-up are simple. We limit network after 9 at night and 5 in the morning. Accessing the printer through the intranet (company), VPN, or any manner after hours isn't going to happen. Without going in to detail, we have security concerns that are more important than most others. I would love to have a camera on this printer, but my organization has to work out how we are going to accomplish this with our stringent security requirements.

Simply, what we need is one of two things:
1. The Raise3D to be able to power down, sleep (meaning shut the fans off turn off the LED's, and/or completely turn itself off) at the end of a print.

2. An outlet that can power down without requiring it be a router or modem or some network switch. It just needs to turn the switch off automagically at lower than 35 or 33 watts for a controlled duration of time.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:05 am

Casale8 wrote:Michael P. Without me tearing apart my printer. What is the estimated idle wattage in the standard N2?

I'm not an electrician, so my intention is to find a "smart socket" that will work with an american wall socket.

We don't want to leave the printer, fans and all, running for all hours if it stops in the middle of the night.

The idle wattage should be around 35W. The average power consumption for PLA printing should be around 200W. For ABS, it will reach to over 260W. The highest power consumption for N2 Dual during can reach to around 500W.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Thank you, Vicky!
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:31 pm

This is going to come as a question that is laughable. I do want to ask it though. :?: This in lieu of there not being a shutdown at the end of a print:

While I have the printer paused, if I power off (using the switch) in the middle of a print, will the printer be able to recover in the same way as a power failure?

Trying to figure out a way to long term pause the machine and save energy.
-SCC

Noren

Postby Noren » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Yes. Power of is the same as pulling the plug. But you might get problems when restarting and you may get visible artefacts in the print quality. But I guess you know this.
I have to say though that my printer consumes about 26 Wh during print. (A little more during heat up). That’s about 0.025 KWh. A 1000 W microwave oven is 1KWh. You definitely have worse energy thief’s at home.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Noren wrote:Yes. Power of is the same as pulling the plug. But you might get problems when restarting and you may get visible artefacts in the print quality. But I guess you know this.

Oh interesting. I know most of the time, I can time this during infill operations.

Noren wrote:I have to say though that my printer consumes about 26 Wh during print. (A little more during heat up). That’s about 0.025 KWh. A 1000 W microwave oven is 1KWh. You definitely have worse energy thief’s at home.

Agreed. Still need to be mindful of usage. ;)

Also, considering working hours of the printer for longevity.
-SCC

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”