a couple small tweaks to wipe towers that might help in certain use cases

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Jab136

a couple small tweaks to wipe towers that might help in certain use cases

Postby Jab136 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:31 am

so I have been fighting with the wipe tower settings on a print that I have been attempting to get to work with dual extrusion of ABS/HIPS and two changes to the wipe tower settings seem like they would be very useful in certain use cases

1. Tapered wipe tower: for very tall prints you obviously need a wide base, but keeping that width all the way to the top of a possibly .6 m print is a waste of both material and print time, allowing for different base and top heights of the wipe tower could help out a lot in these cases

2. allow for the manual setting of the actual location of the wipe tower instead of an "offset" setting (or a toggle between manual and offset): the current "offset" setting is very difficult to use to get the wipe tower to a particular location or even in certain cases impossible for instance, in this particular part I could place the wipe tower within the inner hollow portion of the part and it would print fine,
Untitled.png

45 degrees_4 columns.STL
(252.62 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
but I cannot actually place it there with the current settings, and this leads to issues with the sharp corners of the raft for the wipe tower not sticking properly to the bed which leads to other issues

walshlg

Re: a couple small tweaks to wipe towers that might help in certain use cases

Postby walshlg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:20 pm

the wipe tower does follow the contour of the model. I do not think making it smaller at the top is a very good idea because as the size of the printed area decreases, you have trouble cooling the small area before the next layer is printed right on top of it. This is one of the things that limits printing small parts. Frequently, we have to ADD a sacrificial tower just to provide adequate cooling between layers.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:30 pm

walshlg wrote:the wipe tower does follow the contour of the model. I do not think making it smaller at the top is a very good idea because as the size of the printed area decreases, you have trouble cooling the small area before the next layer is printed right on top of it. This is one of the things that limits printing small parts. Frequently, we have to ADD a sacrificial tower just to provide adequate cooling between layers.

wipe tower, not wipe wall, I am talking about a tower that is built next to the model like in this gcode file
45_degrees_4_columns.zip
(4.81 MiB) Downloaded 28 times

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:59 pm

ok, but same reasoning.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm

yes, but you could still set the size of the top to be the minimum needed for proper cooling, while still having the base be as large as it needs to be for stability, or you could just use the minimum layer time setting instead of a sacrificial tower for proper cooling.

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”