long pause feature request

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Jab136

long pause feature request

Postby Jab136 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 am

so, I personally prefer to be able to check the progress of my prints every hour or so while they are actively printing, obviously I cannot do this while I am sleeping, so I use the pause feature overnight... however with the pause feature as it is, the nozzles remain at the print temperature while paused, I would be ok with waiting a short period during restart if it meant that I didn't have to run load on the nozzle for nearly a minute to remove the burned filament that had been sitting in the nozzle overnight at 240 degrees... so in the next update would it be possible to add a pause feature that returns the nozzles to room temperature but left the bed at the print temperature?

walshlg

Re: long pause feature request

Postby walshlg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:21 pm

just pull the plug!

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:28 pm

walshlg wrote:just pull the plug!

but then the bed would cool as well, I want the bed to stay at the print temperature but the nozzles to decrease to room temperature

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 pm

ahhh good point

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Noted - I will pass this along. Thank you for the input.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:49 pm

WARNING!!!!!!
Current issue in 1.1.1 marlin firmware that any pause with no action in 60 seconds the steppers time out and lose position.

I don't blame the user for not knowing this, I blame Raise 3D for not making this obvious and warning users or fixing the problem.
Can we get an official firmware release beyond 1.1.1?? I mean how many times do I have to raise this issue and warn users because they simply do not know??

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Jetguy wrote:WARNING!!!!!!
Current issue in 1.1.1 marlin firmware that any pause with no action in 60 seconds the steppers time out and lose position.

I don't blame the user for not knowing this, I blame Raise 3D for not making this obvious and warning users or fixing the problem.
Can we get an official firmware release beyond 1.1.1?? I mean how many times do I have to raise this issue and warn users because they simply do not know??

so you are saying that I have to leave my prints running overnight even given the chance that they could fail catastrophically and make a huge mess potentially damaging the printer in the process?

Edit: also that would explain some issues I have had with paused layers...

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm not telling you to print unattended.
In fact, quite opposite, I'm telling you limitations of the version 1.1.1 Marlin firmware and system as a whole.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 am

so then what solution would you propose to a user of the current firmware who needs to print items that take longer than say 18 hours? if you can't pause without the steppers losing their position, and you don't want to leave the print unchecked for longer than 1-2 hours at a time?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:30 pm

Cut your STL file into smaller logical sizes that print within time periods you can monitor
Sleep beside the printer or hire folks to watch long print jobs in shifts
Use the firmware source code- make the the simple edit to disable the timeout, flash your own firmware from source.
Open a ticket and complain to Raise 3D

Again, let's get down to this.
If you are pausing and resuming hours later, that's a risk that the layers perfectly match. On it's best day, this is all a giant bet. You are betting it goes well, the 1001 ways it can fail are betting it does. Again, this idea you can sit there and idle this print for hours unattended, then just resume the print and that nothing bad like warping or other issues happened overnight- that's unrealistic for any brand of printer.
Which is why we are back at cut the STL, print logical sizes If you have to stop because of time constraints, at least stop at a logical point in the total object where if you had to start and glue or otherwise mate the rest of the object it had limited impact. This whole idea of partially printing an object, then coming back later and finishing is just risky.

Again, there are a couple of ways forward:
#1 open a ticket with Raise 3D on this longstanding issue- wait for that official firmware release.
#2 Cut your STL and print smaller height sections at logical breakpoints and then glue or mechanically mate (snapfit, screws, or other methods- (threads) larger assemblies
#3 Work in shifts and monitor the printer if absolutely you must print 18+ hour prints and have it attended
#4 Or, flash your own firmware from source code
#5 accept the risk of failed prints and just roll the dice.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:51 pm

Again, back to the basic request at the start of this thread which basically says we as users want more control over the exact script run when pause is executed. This request is not alone in that a few other features from the touch screen follow the same basic pattern, a logical button on the screen runs a script of gcode sent to the motion board.
Right now, we have almost no way of editing that script of action as even advanced users today.
The suggestion was that Raise 3D exposes either a file, series of files, or dialog boxes were we can
#1 see the very gcode script being exected related to a button press
#2 potentially edit or be able to select customized scripts in place of the stock scripts.

Why? Because the alternative of trying to have dialog boxes with options for some of these increases development time and complexity, and is a never ending cycle of one user wants one thing and another user wants another. Again, the fundamental problem is much bigger, users want more control over action buttons and the more we get down to these option tick boxes- the bigger the problem becomes. By editing gcode scripts associated with a button, the user has infinite power over what they can control (only limited by the gcode command structure itself).

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm

what about using pause points in IdeaMaker, if it pauses between layers would that be as much of an issue?

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”