Support inside hollow model

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
chengl03

Support inside hollow model

Postby chengl03 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering and have done some search the net bout this. Is it possible to add the support that IDM has, to make an option for adding the supporting inside the model too instead of only outside? Or is there a free software out there that can do this and import it to IDM. I have a complex model and instead of having 15 to 25 percent infill so the infill can support the print, and instead of that have inside support for the places that needs it then I could lower the percent infill. Otherwise I guess I'll have to add the support manually in future models. Thanks.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Support inside hollow model

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:15 am

Do you mean that you want to manual add more infill structures inside some positions of the model instead of increasing the total infill density?

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:49 am

Hmm, I guess that is bout the same thing what I am trying to say in that long post. lol
So, yes, Vicky.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:46 am

As far as I know, there seems no such function in slicing softwares.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Classic example where Simplify 3D could do this due to the multiple process capability.
What you would do is specific a low infill percentage up to a certain height.
Then a second process can have a different infill ratio right before your top structure.

https://www.simplify3d.com/software/rel ... ion-4-0-0/
Seamless-Process-Transitions.jpeg

Seamless Process Transitions
As you change settings for different regions of your model, Simplify3D will automatically create a seamless transition between these settings. Whether you’re changing the layer height, infill, or anything else, the software ensures a smooth transition without extra solid layers or Z-scars.

Variable Print Settings
The new Variable Settings Wizard gives you the power to customize any setting that you want for different regions of your model. You can customize the print quality for different features, or even change the mechanical properties of the part unlocking a whole new world of possibilities!
Variable-Print-Settings-1.jpeg

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:14 pm

Yes! this is what I am looking for! although my idea is a little different but this works fine too (my idea before seeing this was, instead of cutting it off horizontally, just add more vertical infill lines in between certain vertical lines, but this is awesome too).

Awesome! Thanks jetguy! Damn, I might just have to buy Simplify just for this option. Do you know any other software that is free that has something similar like this? Otherwise I would buy this cause this option would save me more time and money on prints and is kinda worth it for the long run, but probably not at the moment, gotta wait to until next month.

Vicky, I hope IDM can make something similar to like this. I don't mind learning/buying about Simplify to get this awesome option that I have been looking for, but I really also like IDM too.

But wait, can we use Simplify to print on the Raise3D N2 plus printer though?

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:47 am

A more automated approach is available in Cura 2.6 and later - "Cubic Subdivision" infill, in which the non-directional infill is printed at small dense scale near surfaces and in small portions of an object, and in much larger scaled-up size (i.e. bigger holes, same shapes) in the center of larger objects. This gives uniform strength in all directions, while saving lots of material and print time.
Cura 2.7 also allows you to use dual-extruder in new ways, as you can select the extruder for different portions of the print, i.e. skin, infill, etc.
And Yes, it's free to use.
https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software
Last edited by EldRick on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:32 am

We will consider to add different infill settings based on layer or height in next version.

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:23 pm

That would be awesome if Raise3D do add that, Vicky. Thanks!

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”