Electronic kit

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
gamemaker

Electronic kit

Postby gamemaker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi,
I'm making my on 3d printer by printing most parts with the raise n2plus now. It's an Cartesian system. And so it's similar to the n2plus (same printer type) I want to use the raise 3d electronic because I've made good experiences with it over the last few months. I also want to use the raise 3d firmware (I just would have to modify the build room settings to the scale of mine). Now dear Rase3d team would it be possible to send me an "al you ned for the electronic kit"(Every electronic part on the printer ) and what would the pricing be about.
Although I want to integrate an "5 th axe" for changing the build plate after the print has finished and start an new print. Do you know anything that would cause an problem doing this??

Jetguy

Re: Electronic kit

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:50 pm

It's definitely doable, and the RUMBA based motion control board supports 6 stepper positions and we have the open source firmware for it. That said, the Front panel LCD is not offered for sale in the store, so yes, hopefully, Raise 3D can offer it to you.
These are the 2 boards sold in the storefront as "spare" parts. The first is the main mega2560 based board, derived from the RUMBA schematics but not fully open source (we don't have cad files and schematics) but we do know more than enough to use it in other projects. The second one listed is the extruder head breakout board, meant to be near your extruder head as it contains dual thermocouple amplifiers, and the 2 controlled and 3 constant on 12V outputs, and screw terminal breakout for the heater wires from the mainboard.
https://www.raise3d.com/collections/acc ... tion-board
https://www.raise3d.com/collections/acc ... per-driver
You can use any Pololu style socketed stepper driver of your choosing and just like the RUMBA board, there are 6 stepper positions.

What's not in the store listed:
Front panel LCD and matching IMX6 based custom pcDuino board, delay timer, and battery
The ribbon cable between the main motion control board and the extruder head breakout
The 3 wire heater wiring harness between the mainboard and breakout

Stuff that is in the store additional you might consider using- thermocouples matched to the board (standard K type but good for many hotends. https://www.raise3d.com/collections/acc ... ure-sensor

The entire system is also based on a 24V power supply and the heaters all should be 24V. It might be possible to run a 12V total system, but not sure how that plays with the onboard 12V regulator for the fans and LED strip outputs (cannot run heaters from this limited 12V regulator).

Again, as a basic functional requirements list, I can tell you your printer design needs to conform to the following.
24V main power supply
24V extruder heater(s) up to dual extruder is supported
24V heated bed
Stepper drivers, up to 6 of most common types can be used (A4988, A4982, TMC2100, Panucatt SD6128s, and dozens of others) Avoid DRV8825s especially on a 24V system- not to mention special timing is required when you make the firmware making this a do not use in my book.
Thermocouple based temp sensors for your extruders. While technically, one could use thermistors, it's going to take work and wiring and again, can be done, but at all costs, just use thermocouples as it's made that way

You can do Cartesian or H-bot, or Core XY motion systems. I have examples of Core XY running complete.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Again, fundamentally, the showstopper is will they sell you the "kit" of the front panel LCD and preloaded custom pcDUINO based loosely on the Acadia by pcDuino. That's the first hurdle. The LCD alone is $60 retail, a pcduino board like the acadia is going for about $100, and remember, these are custom Raise 3D specific ones required. You can only get it from them. Just an estimate, it's $200 in parts.

Then, the motion board and breakout, that's another $99 and $39 board, an then you need stepper drivers and that's somewhere between $30-$80 total (5-6 stepper drivers at anywhere from $5 to $20 each) depending on how many and what exact type you buy. (A4988s are cheap, so for a budget, that's one option) Again, sans the front panel, the stepper drivers, mainboard and breakout is basically a $200+ set.

So that's $400+ in electronics, not even a good power supply yet in the cost factor.
Maybe they give you a deal, I'm just being up front as I possibly can and telling you everything I know.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:18 am

At the moment Raise will not be selling the touch screen box on the open market. We ship units with the serial numbers coded into them now on a warranty basis. The Touchscreen's are a proprietary part so we cannot sell them outside the printer.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi,
First of all a big thanks to you two for the overviews.
Now mi next question can I use an normal rumba board and run the raise 3d printer software on it?
Or dose anyone know an good al inclusive electronic kit that he can recommend me (because I think buying raise 3d electronic doesn't make sense of the LCD inclusive the special arduino isn't available) ? (Engines excluded)
And what engines would you recommend me if i want real high precision ones.
What extruder would you recommend me?
Another question can I use idmaker to slice 2 or more separate jobs and ad them to one with yust an step vor changing the build plate between or need I another slicher?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:16 pm

I think we are talking cross things here.
Yes, you can use any Reprap compatible control board and edit the Raise 3D Marlin source firmware code, and make it print.
That is just the motion controller code and really just basic Marlin. In fact, you gain no advantage by using the specific Raise 3D source and might be better served to run Repetier firmware or the latest source Marlin if that is your desire. Or, if you buy something like a DUET or DUET WIFI, then you are running the latest "Reprap" firmware.

The point is, the front panel LCD and Raise 3D GUI interface is what you saw and used and that combination is not something you can buy. It's a 2 part system. The front panel computer must then talk to a motion control board running the specific Raise 3D marlin firmware. If you cannot buy the LCD and pcDuino subsystem, there is no reason at all to use the Raise 3D specific Marlin firmware.

I'm not trying to not help you, but this really isn't the place the discuss a custom printer build not using Raise 3D parts.

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi,
I understand you and I really would prefer to use raise 3d electronic only!! And I've ment to buy an normal pcDuino and modify it for working like the raise 3d one if raise really isn't able to make me an package.
The other question was if you would recommend me an bondtech system or one that is like the one of the n2 plus!?
So would it be possible to modify an pc aduino and just jus an regular tuch LCD and battery or @raise3d kam you offer me a package with 6 engines and all boards steppers, endstops, heatbed, all Kabels i ned in a length of about 2-3m ,all extruder electronic and last but not least fans?
And or can you make me a package without the LCD and pcDuino and I buy those two things as spare parts for my "defect" ;) n2 plus?
Or, don't understand me wrong, but would it be possible to send me all parts needed to build an n2plus and I build I'd my one (would be much easier for me to modify and I hop much cheaper than buying an n2plus at your store and modify him afterwards) and if you want I would share my modifications with you!?
What of those 3 "opinions" would be possible from your side and what would the pricing be about?

socke

Postby socke » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:42 am

Most likely you get much easier what you want on this site (or similar ones): http://openbuilds.org/

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:25 pm

No this isn't what I need I just want the electronics!
But thanks for sharing.

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi,
Sorry if I bore you with asking so often! But can you offer me one of "my packages" or isn't it possible?
I would ned your answer till Monday evening (otherwise have to look for Another producer of electronic systems for 3d printing!).
Wish you an good weekend,
Gamemaker ;)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:21 am

We are so sorry but which we can sell for public are already listed on our website. Others are for repair use.

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:26 am

Ok
So no chance to buy the LCD as an "spare part" for my existing n2plus?! And the other electronic seperat?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:35 am

I'm so sorry, but yes.

Stratosphere

Postby Stratosphere » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:34 am

I would be interested in driving a larger machine with N2 electronics. I have just the machine in mind.

firesped

Postby firesped » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:44 am

The electronics for these printers are specifically designed to drive these printers. It would be fairly expensive to setup because you have to build your custom new printer to use the same hotends as the N-Series. You have to find a compatible heated build plate. You need a 24v power supply. You are in the $500 range at least for these parts, some of which are not available. Plus you will never get the touchscreen outside of buying one of these printers. I don't think the carriage block is either. You are better off looking at other solutions.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Stratosphere

Postby Stratosphere » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 am

Can someone recommend a high end software and hardware solution for a large industrial fdm printer?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 am

Simplify 3D as your slicer and use the latest 32 bit controller board Duet wifi or Ethernet.
https://www.simplify3d.com/
and https://www.duet3d.com/
I buy my controller boards in the US from https://www.filastruder.com/collections/electronics

#1 Duet uses the Reprap firmware and specifically the fork by David Crocker and another great firmware person Dan Newman of Sailfish fame contributes. You have some of the greatest minds who put safety first into the firmware behind this system.
Again, if there were any 2 people in the world that I new were always on the bleeding edge of 3D printing firmware, it's these 2 combined together. Flat out, it just works and works. If you want an industrial machine and ultimate reliability along with enforced safety features and ease of use, you are going to be hard to find one that has better backing.

#2 Duet Wifi or Ethernet is one of the most advanced control boards running the absolute latest bleeding edge stepper drivers. Not to mention, you'll be hard pressed to find such an expanded number of driver outputs. "Up to 7 extruders
Support for a further 5 stepper drivers and heaters on the expansion header. Firmware support for mixing nozzles and remapping axes to use high power external drivers."

#3 Touchscreen control support The optional PanelDue controller provides a full colour graphic touch screen controller with virtual keyboard. Also talks G-code for maximum flexibility.

Stratosphere

Postby Stratosphere » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:19 pm

After much review, this is perfect! Thank you.

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”