auto print

Raise3D is always listening. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
AJM

auto print

Postby AJM » Wed May 10, 2017 6:01 pm

It would be nice to have an option to upload-and-print, rather than having to start printing manually.
With that option, the print would start immediately after the upload is complete and the printer is free.
If not an option, it would be good to follow the standard of starting automatically when filename of auto0.g is used.

This feature would not only make it easier to print, but useful for a demo or production.
Example: Using a script, upload a file of a small figure which then starts printing. Then after the calculated print completion time,
it uploads another file of a figure which prints at an another available space on the print bed, and this can repeat until all the
bed space is used up. This would be a great way to print unattended.
Obviously all figures can be printed in a single file, but that means each one will take a long time to take shape and not too fun for a demo.
By printing each small items separately, they take shape quicker and have more impact on audience.

For production using this feature, you can retrieve the completed objects while it is printing another one at another location on the print bed.
If printed as one file, you would have to wait until all the objects have printed and reached the maximum Z-axis.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: auto print

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 11, 2017 9:13 am

Auto-print is a good thought. But what might be the point is, if you are uploading a big file with computer in another room and want to printer to start print autoly after upload complete, but meanwhile someone else is operating the screen to print another file. The logic will be a little strange for screen to decide what to do. At least, with current logic (upload first, then screen will read the gcode before print, then start print) it will be a little hard to achieve.

For printing objects one after another. That was limited a lot be the moving path of extruder and X and Y axis. Even if we can achieve in future, it needs you to import all the models you want to print at one time into ideaMaker first. Then set proper position to avoid nozzle hitting.

AJM

Postby AJM » Thu May 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Auto-print would be an option chosen by the sender, per file, in ideaMaker upload option.
There is no problem choosing which file is printed as the first one that completes the upload starts. Any others coming in will stay in the queue because the printer is no longer free. The printer would be considered busy until a user presses the job-done button at its completion as it is done now.
Someone starting the print manually at the printer would either be able to start the job if that person is first, or get a message that another job is printing (as is the case currently). Perhaps it is only necessary to scan for a gcode of "M117 AUTOPRINT" (or whatever) literal. In that a user can do that using any slicer, not just ideaMaker, and the only thing needed would be a simple code addition in the Touch Panel.

As for the demo, I was wrong about multiple files which is not needed. It can be done using one gcode file that has multiple file gcode files spliced together. Although it is not easy to design multiple figure files considering the bed placement to avoid interference, that is a user problem.

In any case, auto-print would be an useful feature.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 12, 2017 9:49 am

But the reality is, the reaction of touchscreen's UI is not such high efficient and there also has network delay between screen and ideaMaker.
Which means, if you start a print on screen, normally it will take a few seconds to show that this printer is busy.
During this time, any operation will cause conflict and error.

AJM

Postby AJM » Fri May 12, 2017 1:17 pm

The touchscreen delay does not matter. It is the touchscreen that starts the print job, so it obviously knows which file it started printing regardless of where that file came from or what the user manually attempted. What the display shows is not relevant and it obviously does not start a second job if one is already active. Besides, I would expect such a feature to be used mostly by a single-operator shop.

Well, I thought it was a good enhancement. I will have to wait for the touchscreen source code to be released so that I can make my own mod. Thanks.

calex_fr

Postby calex_fr » Fri May 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:For printing objects one after another. That was limited a lot be the moving path of extruder and X and Y axis. Even if we can achieve in future, it needs you to import all the models you want to print at one time into ideaMaker first. Then set proper position to avoid nozzle hitting.

That will be a good feature !
alexandre Contat from France.

http://www.distudio3D.fr

Noren

Postby Noren » Sat May 13, 2017 12:28 pm

I would like the option to upload and print. I always prepare my printer after a print so it's good to go. The next time I print something i would like to upload and print. I'm the only user of the printer. And I check via a camera that everything is ok. But I do ageee it should not be a default option. Hide it deep in the settings.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sun May 14, 2017 12:39 am

I'd do that but only if we had a nozzle wiper and add wiping to the gcode

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon May 15, 2017 8:25 am

AJM wrote:The touchscreen delay does not matter. It is the touchscreen that starts the print job, so it obviously knows which file it started printing regardless of where that file came from or what the user manually attempted. What the display shows is not relevant and it obviously does not start a second job if one is already active. Besides, I would expect such a feature to be used mostly by a single-operator shop.

Well, I thought it was a good enhancement. I will have to wait for the touchscreen source code to be released so that I can make my own mod. Thanks.

If there is only one person in your place, such matter won't happen. But we need to inform in advance that if there are two more persons who can use the machine in one room may cause such bug. But of course, it will be almost improbable.

If you think such problem is uncommon for all users, we'd like to add this new function.

We are currently developing the screen API, that may help you to check out your mod But not the source code of Raise Touch.
Please note, although the API is on our on-going list, but it still needs some time to fully complete and release to public.

Return to “Feature Requests, Ideas, Wishes”