Compatibility with octoprint

Raise3D is always listening. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
walshlg

Compatibility with octoprint

Postby walshlg » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:45 pm

It is very embarrassing that the raise printer is the only one that can't connect with octoprint or even communicate any sort of status to a printer network. THis is something that you really need to work on, several people have told me they weren't interested in a printer that couldn't be networked and that made them remove the Raise from their list of printers to consider..

i.e. its a non-starter - automatic exclusion from potential buy lists

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Compatibility with octoprint

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:08 am

If you do want to use Octoprinter, you can install Octroprint into a raspberry pi and connect it to our serial port with Octoprint. But with that installed, you will lose our touchscreen.

May I ask why Octoprinter is a necessary part for you?
We already have a touchscreen and have an frequent updating screen firmware.

Phife

Postby Phife » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:16 pm

The Raise3D N2 printer actually already has Octoprint Installed. You can use Putty to SSH into the machine and log in with Root and the password you set under the settings/SSH on the touchscreen. You will need to kill the Raise3D Touchscreen app that is running and then start octoprint. But then you can log into octoprint via browser and run it normally. You will lose the touchscreen though, it will not work until you restart the machine.

Only thing its good for is being able to issue terminal commands. PID Tuning, Z Probe offsets.. stuff like that. No real advantage to running octoprint vs the touchscreen IMO.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:05 am

I LOVE the touchscreen BUT I have been having print failures lately and It would be a huge help to check on prints every few hours with our printer network. I have had 2 isolation tube jams because of a 22 hour air printing - the head is all hot with no filament going anywhere and heat creaping up up up! With Octoprint you can look at your printer with a webcam and turn off heaters remotely. It is also very helpful to look at the print vid to see just where problems occur. I can't stay and watch, I must work to pay for my plastic habit.

I'll give bypass a try, thanks Phife.

I just want both, LOL

Flole

Postby Flole » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:41 am

It would be great to have the touchscreen sending data to octoprint. That would give us the option to use the nice Webinterface aswell as other cool functions while keeping the touchscreen alive. I wanted to start building that, but I haven't found any information on how to interface with the touchscreen. Could you guys please share some code to do that? I really miss octoprint's features and would love to implement that on my own.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 am

As I known, Octoprint needs to use serial port to control the boards. But our touchscreen also needs the serial port. And our motion board only has one serial port to get the codes.

JamesW

Postby JamesW » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 pm

Sorry about resurrecting this thread but it's a good introduction to my question.
Are we sure that disconnecting the LCD's serial port to connect a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint is safe and won't do anything permanent?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:16 am

We can't guarantee about that, as it is not a certified modification officially. If any damage happens during the process, warranty can be hardly considered to cover the situation.

Return to “Feature Requests, Ideas, Wishes”