Feature Request #2 Build Plate Height Offsets

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Insomnia

Feature Request #2 Build Plate Height Offsets

Postby Insomnia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:23 pm

An auto bed height sensor would be ideal, and contrary to what others have said here, It can be done with a fairly simple hardware addon and I do have some ideas on the subject. With that said, another option would be to allow for build plate offsets. Currently I'm using 2 different build plates with this machine. The stock build plate with Build Tak, and a second build plate with a coated glass surface. Switching build plates requires a readjustment of the height level gauge ever time. The thickness of the build plate is easily measured with a caliper. If the stock build plate was set at position 0, then any additional build plate could be programmed into the machine at position 1, 2, etc with a corresponding offset. This would require a sub menu for fine tuning, but it would be a software only solution to the problem of using multiple build plates of varying heights.

Personally, I would prefer an automatic Z sensor solution, but this would solve a problem I'm sure many of us struggle with.

AFTECH

Re: Feature Request #2 Build Plate Height Offsets

Postby AFTECH » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:29 am

Hello
In my opinion it might be dangerous.
You make your 0 position with the Z sensor screw and everytime you change the plate (or sometime when you change material) you must redo the 0 calibration.
If you make it by the software, the risk would be that one day you'll forget to change the parameter and the nozzle would hit the plate and destroy your extruder or guides.

AFTECH

Postby AFTECH » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:30 am

But i'm agree with you, an automatic Z sensor would be a good thing but it would cost a lot to get a sensor with this kind of accuracy

Insomnia

Postby Insomnia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:18 pm

AFTECH wrote:Hello
In my opinion it might be dangerous.
You make your 0 position with the Z sensor screw and everytime you change the plate (or sometime when you change material) you must redo the 0 calibration.
If you make it by the software, the risk would be that one day you'll forget to change the parameter and the nozzle would hit the plate and destroy your extruder or guides.

I considered that, however, if you can remember to physically calibrate the Z stop, you can remember to hit a button on the touch screen. If you forget either way, the same result occurs.

Insomnia

Postby Insomnia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:30 pm

AFTECH wrote:But i'm agree with you, an automatic Z sensor would be a good thing but it would cost a lot to get a sensor with this kind of accuracy

This is not a cost issue. The technology exists and many other printers have it. For Raise, it's an engineering issue. The printer was not designed for it (a big mistake in my opinion) which makes its addition a bit challenging, but it can be done.

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”