Top Surface Ironing function

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Mecha_Monster

Top Surface Ironing function

Postby Mecha_Monster » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:12 pm

I have just read about a new setting for Cura, Ironing. The function runs the hot nozzle over the top layer without extruding plastic (or maybe just a little bit, about 10%) to iron the crests and fill the gaps, smoothing the surface. Not sure if that's a feature or a hack, but the results looks great. Would it be possible to look into it and evaluate its fact-ability for Ideamaker?

Picture: Normal Top Layer vs Curas Ironing

fm6krmor0pfz.jpg

Thanks!

EldRick

Re: Top Surface Ironing function

Postby EldRick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Cura has a lot of useful features that are not in iM, because they have been actively developing it for years. I wouldn't expect iM to catch up anytime soon.

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Good idea.

hovig_p

Postby hovig_p » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:36 pm

This feature would be great!

Are you using CURA with your R3D?

Targo

Postby Targo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Oh yes, that looks really great. If then the function comes to that one can specify a roughness depth instead of a layer thickness that would be almost like Christmas ...

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 pm

I think the key here is not just the gcode path function, but the shape of the nozzle tip.
Raise 3D nozzles are sharp and pointing with very limited flat tip area.
Other brands use a fatter nozzle tip that also has more actual area surrounding the orifice, and this makes a much better smoothing function if you are going to then pass back over a layer.

Again, a pointy nozzle with almost no flat area tends to "plow" more and leave "furrows" rather than a net smoothing effect in my experience.
At the same time, a pointy nozzle is better at smaller detail and tends to put less heat into adjacent structures in the layer- again lending itself to much finer detail.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Also, doing more research on this function, it would be wise to contact the original developer since there was some bad blood in how the basic idea was used in Cura. http://www.3dprintingforum.us/viewtopic.php?t=705#p9886

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”