The HAWKMOON - from Destiny

Show off your prints, mods, etc.
Dimension W

The HAWKMOON - from Destiny

Postby Dimension W » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:23 am

Hi there!

First I would like to start by thanking the team behind Raise3D for being just simply AWESOME!! and a special thanks goes to Joel from the 3D Printing Nerd! cause if I didn't stumble on his video for the Raise3D N2 Plus, I wouldn't have been able to achieve what I am presenting today! believe it or not, it took me 1 watch, and one day talking to the team from Raise3D to convince me to get it!

Now straight to the topic, this is letterly the 2nd thing that came out of the printer right after printing a tiny scale low poly Pikachu!
At first with Pika I used the included PLA Filament that came with the printer, with the default settings and all, and for me this is my first ever printer, thus, you could imagine the excitement I am having for being able to deliver what I'm about to showcase here to you all, enjoy!

The Hawkmoon: Hand Cannon

Stalk thy prey and let loose thy talons upon the Darkness. ― In-game description

0_DSC5091.jpg

0_DSC5097.jpg

00_DSC5105.jpg

0_DSC5103.jpg

Note: Not photoshoped! not retouched! just a bit of sanding here and there!

Finally I would like to say that since this was the first ever print I ever make, I learned a lot along the way, there was few mistakes, like one time the handle got stuck to the raft! then I decided to get red of the raft, next was it got stuck to the heated bed! so one hassle for me till now is how to safely and easily I can remove the prints of the heated bed!
another issue that would be obvious was the top of the handle where there was small nobs, there was lots of tiny gaps in between them, I didn't know how exactly I would sand it, nor how I can fill it? if any one can help me how to tackle colorfabb nGen in regards to smoothing and filling I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Abodizer89

Airbrush Used: Infinity - Harder & Steenbeck Airbrush

Paint Used: Badger Miniature Line

Filament used: ColorFabb nGen

Credits for the 3D Design : Lael Lee
https://www.myminifactory.com/users/laellee
Dimension W
Abodizer89

robpauza

Re: The HAWKMOON - from Destiny

Postby robpauza » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:09 am

Awesome job all around! Love the finishing/painting especially. I can't wait to see more of your stuff.

I agree 100% about the Raise3D staff. They have always been incredibly helpful and responsive to me, not to mention having an incredible product. I've had my printer for maybe 4 months now and am still loving it. I ran it pretty much non-stop for the first 3+ months and it just keeps chugging along.

Anyway, glad you're having a good experience and welcome to the forum.

-Rob

Dimension W

Postby Dimension W » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Thank you Rob, I'm glad that you've liked it!
In regards to the finishing, if you can see the small tiny holes, I was thinking about buying body filler used for cars and applying it then sanding the hole print with less effort. I will try this on my next upcomimg project which is the Ram Helmet from Destiny. As I increase the thickness of the layer for faster printing time. I noticed that when it curves in the Z or X axis direction the thickness of the layer becomes obvious at 0.3 mm, and the top layer if it was flat looks horrible and filled with tiny gaps. Hopefully the filler will work out cuz I didn't find some one using it before online. And I dont have access to XTC-3D filler cuz I live in Kuwait. I tried wood filler. Doesnt work well it crumbles fast.. if you have a solution of how to make the top layer as flat and smooth as the first layer I would appreciate your input on it. Thanx again :)
Dimension W
Abodizer89

robpauza

Postby robpauza » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:41 am

If it's small gaps, you should be able to use regular plastic modeling putty, such as Testors or Tamiya. I've used both on PLA with good success. It dries enough to lightly sand in about 5-10 minutes if applied in moderation. If you're taking about larger gaps, I've had great luck with regular epoxy. It bonds really well and self-levels. Depending on the gaps you're needing to fill, that may be an option. It of course will need a little sanding afterwards too. Definitely test first.

The XTC-3D works great for certain things, but it's kind of tricky to use. It takes several hours to harden and during that time gravity takes effect and makes high areas thin and lower areas MUCH thicker, which covers up detail. If you have the patience, you can continually rotate your piece so that it doesn't pool during curing, but the best method I've found is just use a few really thin layers. Then you can somewhat better control the thickness.

.3mm layers is definitely going to print faster, but you may want to consider trying out .1mm. Assuming you have a good, printable model and it is well thought-out how it is sliced/supported, it may be quicker in the long run. PLA as I'm sure you've already noticed is surprisingly hard to sand. Even with power sanders, it tends to melt rather than sand.

Anyway, hope this helps. Take care.

-Rob

Dimension W

Postby Dimension W » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Thank you Rob much appreciated and sorry for the late reply, ive been experimenting with body fillers used for cars for my upcoming build, bondo body filler fills gap like a champ but its a nightmare when it comes to sanding!
Bondo glazing spot putty was astonishing in terms of applying and sanding. U can sand with a 1500 grit sanding paper and yet it would maintain its bond with the plastic well. Just to make sure its bonding well I give it a wash every now and then, I'll be positing my next build very soon once I'm done painting and I'll give a detailed review on using an automotive body filler and how well it bonds to nGen. Thank you again Rob. Take care.
Dimension W
Abodizer89

Return to “User's Gallery”