Gunstar

Show off your prints, mods, etc.
jetdillo

Gunstar

Postby jetdillo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:23 am

This is the "Gunstar" spaceship from the movie "The Last Starfighter", found on Thingiverse as https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:14639

I printed it out this weekend as a gift for a friend who is a big fan of that and other SF movies from the '80s & '90s.
There's going to be a good bit of post-processing to do. I need to glue the two halves together, sand-and-fill around the edges, then either paint or give an XTC-3D coat.

I think it turned out pretty good.
It took about 26 hours total to print as 2 halves, at 15% infill and a 0.2mm layer-height in Hatchbox silver PLA.

I printed it with a single extruder because the whole support structure was just a couple thin pillars to support the cockpit at the top and a couple other small features. It didn't seem worth the extra time and material required to use PolySupport and a wipe-wall or tower.
At some point when I have a couple spools of silver or grey and a week to spend on watching it, I might print myself one at max-size.

I'll post more as I make progress finishing it.

20180625_012253.jpg

20180625_012221.jpg

robpauza

Re: Gunstar

Postby robpauza » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:35 am

Nice! I printed the same model about 13" tall a while back. It unfortunately has a number of geometry errors that are next to impossible to fix. I didn't notice until after my 80+ hour prints. Still, super cool and great movie.

Return to “User's Gallery”