Not very impressive but it worked

Show off your prints, mods, etc.
MDVolle
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: Fullerton CA

Not very impressive but it worked

Postby MDVolle » Mon May 28, 2018 10:12 pm

These are three 285mm tall sections of "truss" that were printed 2 shells, no infill brim of 5 out of PET + material -

They aren't perfect but actually printed to the top on the first try and completely met the intended need.

The larger outside tubes are 6.3mm with a 1.2mm wall so there isn't a lot of material in these - even the angled pieces are hollow and this was just a "visual" model roughly based on staging truss and antenna truss - sort of a visual hybrid specifically drawn to print w/o support.

Having watched how it was printing near the end, I think I could have pushed on to at least 375 mm without it getting too unstable.

Sections will be spliced together with small pieces of brass tubing inside the truss tubes to keep it invisible.

Mark

_DSC0477.JPG
_DSC0478.JPG
_DSC0481.JPG

User avatar
jetdillo
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:10 am

Re: Not very impressive but it worked

Postby jetdillo » Tue May 29, 2018 3:50 pm

PETG/PET+, when it works, is quite amazing. It looks like you have very little stringing/threading there.
I've managed to get my issues down to a minimum, but still seeing "spider silk" on the sides of some of my prints.
Would you mind sharing your settings for this part ?

MDVolle
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: Fullerton CA

Re: Not very impressive but it worked

Postby MDVolle » Tue May 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Jetdillo,

You are SOO correct about PET+ being great - when it cooperates! There were small nibs in several locations where the head was going between parts but stringing was minimal and I think it was one of my more "lucky" prints with PET + from Matterhackers

I also tried using a mold release spray on the nozzle before printing, as it seemed that the sides of the nozzle would collect stray material and then string it around as much as the tip. I used Sprayon MR311 dry film release agent - which works at this temp but not much more.
I attached the BIN profile file as a TXT - you will have to rename it to .BIN to use it (I couldn't attach the .BIN directly - it said it wasn't allowed)

basics; 251C extruder 70C bed and 35mm/sec print speed max - retraction was 1.5mm at 35mm/sec
Attachments
PET p 034 e (truss).txt
(8.02 KiB) Downloaded 32 times


Return to “User's Gallery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests