Getting ready for MRRF 2018

Show off your prints, mods, etc.
Jetguy

Getting ready for MRRF 2018

Postby Jetguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Disclaimer- hey, it uses all 3D electronics and firmware, that has to count right?
DSC05036.JPG

DSC05042.JPG

DSC05034.JPG

zemlin

Re: Getting ready for MRRF 2018

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:58 am

kewl stuff.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:22 pm

I wish I knew what I was looking at

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:50 pm

jon_bondy wrote:I wish I knew what I was looking at

A custom 3D printer with a 490mm X 490mm by 550mm build area (compared to say an N2 Plus with 305x305x600).
Paired with the Mosaic Palette + to allow extruding multiple colors or filament types from a single nozzle.
All while using the electronics straight out of an N1 printer.

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Nice build. :)

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Does the Mosaic Palette work with dissolvable filaments?

Also if one is only going to print in two filaments, which is better; independent dual extruders or is Mosaic?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:41 pm

DS2017 wrote:Does the Mosaic Palette work with dissolvable filaments?
Also if one is only going to print in two filaments, which is better; independent dual extruders or is Mosaic?

You won't be able to use dissimilar materials with a splicer - only different colors of the same materials (I assume - I don't have one).

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:09 pm

zemlin wrote:
DS2017 wrote:Does the Mosaic Palette work with dissolvable filaments?

You won't be able to use dissimilar materials with a splicer - only different colors of the same materials (I assume - I don't have one).

I'm assuming PLA prints with dissolvable PLA, and both having similar melting temperatures.
I'm just curious to the accuracy of filament slicers and any contaminations. Especially when it's traveling such a great distance before it enters the direct drive.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Yes, it works with soluble filament. I have E3D scaffold handy. I can run a test print just to show you.

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Jetguy wrote:Yes, it works with soluble filament. I have E3D scaffold handy. I can run a test print just to show you.

Hmm, we're thinking about getting a Mosaic. Our lineup currently is a N2+ as main printer and three CR10S for rapid prototype/study modeling. Thinking about getting another N2+ or N2 to be more efficient with our main model production (we're an architecture firm). Single extruder on N2+ is great but dual extruder is finicky especially with contamination in large complex prints (a lot of flat walls & floors, thin tall columns, angles, overhangs galore).

Just want to know how compatible the Mosaic are with N2 printers. A lot of 'hacking' or is it plug and play?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 pm

From a how much hacking is required- none other than ensuring you use a guide tube mount and mount the encoder.
The palette is completely external to the printer.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:58 pm

If you want to know more on the N2/N2 Plus users and the Palette- the facebook group there are a few users with that combo up and 100% operational. https://www.facebook.com/groups/mosaic.users/

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:59 pm

I have a Palette+ with my N2. I am no where near as good at printing as JetGuy is ... but I've had mild success with it. I did have a little bleed in a print last night - but that could have been my fault with loading the material improperly. All in all, i love it - i just dont think it's perfect yet ... at least not for me.

The gator logo was modeled by my son, and it uses the palette for the color swaps without having to manually load and unload filament during the print.

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:21 pm

The stack of "waste" material next to that robot is pretty amazing. Do you think that you put about 1/2 of your filament into that tower?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 am

Printed on the experimental but shown for scale jammed inside my N2+ so you can see how much bigger it is than the build area of the current series of Raise 3D printers. Printed in 8 hours and 41 minutes and used 118 meters of filament. Printed at 0.4mm layer height using a 0.8mm nozzle.
Attachments
DSC05085.JPG
DSC05084.JPG
DSC05082.JPG

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:46 pm

jon_bondy wrote:The stack of "waste" material next to that robot is pretty amazing. Do you think that you put about 1/2 of your filament into that tower?

Maybe not half, but yes, a good percentage. I know the new version of Chroma has settings to decrease that tower (and speed the print) by trying to use transitions as Infill rather than on a purge tower. It was my 2nd print after calibrating the Palette+, so I was ok wasting some to get the right result and ensure I was on the right track

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Jetguy wrote:Printed on the experimental but shown for scale jammed inside my N2+ so you can see how much bigger it is than the build area of the current series of Raise 3D printers. Printed in 8 hours and 41 minutes and used 118 meters of filament. Printed at 0.4mm layer height using a 0.8mm nozzle.

Outstanding :) I dont need something that big. I JUST WANT SOMETHING THAT BIG :)

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sun May 27, 2018 1:53 pm

I sure would like to see some video of the machine running. You have some real indepth skills JetGuy. You also must have some nice tools to help those skills get implemented. What tools do you have? Your own full blown machine shop? CNC? I know you have some sort of laser cutter.

Extremely cool build. How well does the core xy design work compared to the original R3D?
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon May 28, 2018 1:37 am

Believe it or not, 99% of that was all made with hand tools. A drill, a center punch, lots of measuring. I also use a cheap Harbor Freight metal bandsaw for the aluminum extrusion cuts. Yes, the laser cutter is nice, but on that printer, the only parts laser cut are the back panel smoked acrylic that covers the electronics from the back, and the plywood bottom cover holding the insulation up to close up the bottom of the heated bed. They just as easily could have been cut and drilled by hand, but at least for acrylic- that's where the laser polished edges pay off and it doesn't look bad on the plywood either since it darkens the edge. Otherwise, it would stand out a little more compared to being cut with a table saw.

Those "speed holes" in the gantry are just made by marking a center height line, then dividing the distance to equal spacing, then center punching and drilling a guide hole, then uses a hole saw drill bit while clamping the entire aluminum angle to a block of wood. This helps the pilot center of a hole saw style bit stay centered and not walk. Then to chamfer the holes, a giant stepped drill bit has the taper at each "step" size. It makes it look magical, but it's really not as trick as you think to get the effect.

In fact, there are really very few custom pieces:
The Z stage, the plates that hold the extrusion around the ballscrew nuts. That plate took a little time and measuring to work out, lots of drilling all the various holes then using the band saw to cut it to be triangular from the original plate stock.
The gantry- to drill the holes to mount the MGN12 linear bearing down the center, the hole spacing at the ends to mate to the Y axis linear bearing blocks, the holes for the belt pulleys, and then last, the "speed holes" more for looks and minor weight reduction than any real physical need.
Then, there are off the shelf brackets modified by drilling additional holes.
The 2 front Z stage bearing braces at the bottom just enlarged the original hole to accept the required 12mm ID flanged bearing to make a thrust bearing, and then holes to use M3 screws to catch the flange and trap the bearing.
The other modified corner bracket is the Y axis brackets, that hold and attach the 20x40 standard extrusion to mate to the larger 1.5 inch style main frame. This mixing of metric and standard sizes complicates that particular bracket, bu that's it. The logic there was, in the previous version, I used the same 1.5 inch extrusion to make the Y axis bearing perches, but that was never perfect because I had to drill and tap the 12mm supported linear rail base to the extrusion. There just was not enough "meat" there and was never happy. With going with MGN12 linear bearing for smoothness and light weight, It much better mounts to 20mm style extrusion. Then, because I wanted to mount the bearing to the inside rail to give clearance so if I wanted to make side panels, the bearing block did not "stick out" mounting using 40mm wide "double" 20mm extrusion , then adapting the standard 1.5 inch corner brackets with 2 additional smaller M4 holes to line up to the 40mm rail rather than the standard center mounted single 8mm hole, this gives a nice clean and rock solid adapter to make everything work together.

I guess I need to make kits.....

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon May 28, 2018 3:35 am

Thanks for the full rundown on the build. It does look impressive and the more so now that I have a better idea how you did it. I wish I had been at MRRF to see it! I saw some video of you there. Btw, it was cool to put a face and voice to you. I love the Rubics Cube solver. That is so cool. Did anyone else get video of you at MRRF 2108?

So what do you think of Core XY now that you have had experience with it? From my understanding of the mechanics, it should be lighter given the same area coverage and it should run more true -- all else being equal (motors and etc.)
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Return to “User's Gallery”