Engine Cylinder head

Show off your prints, mods, etc.
StickShifter

Engine Cylinder head

Postby StickShifter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Here is my most ambitious print to date, a complete race car engine cylinder head. This is a prototype for a new design before going to the CNC mills. The total print was going to take about 192 hours and use 3.8Kg of filament. The head was split into two section due to size constraints. It was going along great until this morning when I checked in on it. It appear the machine lost it's X axis reference. The print continued but shifted to the left by about 1-1/2". I saw this one other time but just figured it was a fluke and something else happened. Any suggestions? I have had the printer for about 2 months so it is far from being worn out or abused.

lrg_020818Shop_3D_URH_101.JPG
lrg_020818Shop_3D_URH_102.JPG
lrg_020818Shop_3D_URH_103.JPG
lrg_020818Shop_3D_URH_104.JPG
lrg_020818Shop_3D_URH_106.JPG

Mecha_Monster

Re: Engine Cylinder head

Postby Mecha_Monster » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm

My 2 cents. Probably the cause of the shift was the head hitting the support material. as per your images, it looks weak and probably it wobble. Try to modified the support angle, remove the 0 angle and add -45 degrees and +45 degrees, your support will be generated as a grill of tangential lines, it is more sturdy for tall objects.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:34 am

Do the both shiftings happen on the same model at similar height?
If so, look carefully to your model whether there has any nozzle hitting marks left on the model and whether the hitting position is on the same structure.
Adjusting support settings or try Z hop.

StickShifter

Postby StickShifter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:26 am

Thanks for the feedback.
I was not able to determine if the nozzle hit anything as the shifted section was a mess. The previous time(different project) it is very possible that it hit the print as the print was not sticking to the platform very well. I'm not too worried about it right now as I continued printing the remaining section so instead of two parts to glue together I will have 4 parts.

Since the concern was that the line style supports may have caused the issue, I have changed the settings for the last print, see below. The nice thing about the lines for support was that they were easy to remove. The way the supports look now, I will have a hard time removing them. It would be nice to have different types for different heights.

FWI, the model for the cylinder head is also shown below.

SupportSettings_020818.jpg

URH_020918.jpg

gutenberg3d

Postby gutenberg3d » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello StickShifter, a fantastic project, just what 3D printers should be used for! Do you have a 5 axis Mill to get down the ports on the real thing or do you have a clever trick up your sleeve?
I had exactly the same kind of displacement problems with my printer and it turned out to be coupler on the x-axis stepper motor. Please keep posting the pictures especially the final billet part. Best wishes from England, Barry.

StickShifter

Postby StickShifter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Hello Barry!
I do not have a 5 axis mill, just two old 3 axis machines, a small one and a larger one. It will take about 9 setups to mill the head. The intake port will not be completely machined as it is just too tough on my smaller and limited machines. About 50% of the port will be completed and the rest of the intake port will be done by hand. It's a compromise but one that I can live with. The toughest part so far is dealing with the compound angles of the valves.

The whole idea behind getting the printer was to help easily(not quickly) prototype my designs. And to that point it is working out great.

The rest of the print was a success. But I was right, the grid style supports were a serious pain to remove. It would be nice if there was a hybrid between the two support types. Maybe even a connecting layer every so often in the line supports to tie them together? Just an idea.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Quite a project you have there. Congrats, well executed and i have no doubt you find what you're looking for.

May i ask where would i find the head once it's mounted ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:15 am

StickShifter wrote:Hello Barry!

The rest of the print was a success. But I was right, the grid style supports were a serious pain to remove. It would be nice if there was a hybrid between the two support types. Maybe even a connecting layer every so often in the line supports to tie them together? Just an idea.

You can set different support infill type per-height of the model.
Or Solid Base Layers for support structure.
1.png
2.png

Daws

Postby Daws » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:50 am

Great to see some more mechanical engineering projects, I look forward to seeing how this progresses. Keep us informed of your progress with the support material, I'm working on some test prints for a motorcycle throttle body in my [limited] spare time and the support material is the biggest hurdle.

Return to “User's Gallery”