Fixtures for Tensile Testing Machine

Show off your prints, mods, etc.
Mecha_Monster

Fixtures for Tensile Testing Machine

Postby Mecha_Monster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 am

Before spending >$5,000 in fixtures for a Tensile Strength test, I wanted to confirm that the design for the tooling is viable.

The design of the tooling took me about a day, and the printing process a couple of days. Anyhow, in less than 3 days I had working prototypes of my tools and then I proceeded to perform some testing. I was really impressed that the results were very consistent over all the 40 repetitions that I run.

The stainless steel fixtures took about 3 weeks to arrive, and I got very similar results to those that I got with my 3D printed parts.

Cheers to the Raise3D team!, The machine is more than capable of printing high accurate parts.

In the image, In red are the 3D printed fixtures (Red PLA, Hatchbox) next to its steel metal counterpart.

Untitled.png

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Fixtures for Tensile Testing Machine

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27 am

Does the fixture need to bear the tensile?

Mecha_Monster

Re: Fixtures for Tensile Testing Machine

Postby Mecha_Monster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Does the fixture need to bear the tensile?

Well, is a test that involves low forces, around 5-10N. The fixtures were made to evaluate the disassemble force for a small component.
The final results are only valid with fixtures made of steel, but the 3D printed ones are good for concept proof.

Return to “User's Gallery”