Life Size Apocalypse Bust

Show off your prints, mods, etc.
JL Mussi

Re: Life Size Apocalypse Bust

Postby JL Mussi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 am

Rob, I have been 3d Modeling since 2004. Started out with Maya. I have used Softimage (which i really liked before it got killed off), Houdini, 3dsMax, Mudbox, Modo and Z-Brush for modeling. I actually prefer Maya (or a primary package) for hard surface. But for concepting, organic modeling or fine details I use Z-brush.

I have some more of my modeling work at: http://jlmussi.com/

robpauza

Postby robpauza » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:16 pm

JL Mussi wrote:Rob, I have been 3d Modeling since 2004. Started out with Maya. I have used Softimage (which i really liked before it got killed off), Houdini, 3dsMax, Mudbox, Modo and Z-Brush for modeling. I actually prefer Maya (or a primary package) for hard surface. But for concepting, organic modeling or fine details I use Z-brush.

I have some more of my modeling work at: http://jlmussi.com/

Impressive work all around. I started off in an old Amiga program called Truspace (which was terrible), then went to Max, Lightwave, then attempted to transition to Modo but wound back with Lightwave just because I already knew it. ;)

Anyway, great work. I can't wait to see how you finish this.

JL Mussi

Postby JL Mussi » Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 am

I decided to do a video update on the Neck Armor for my 3d Printed Apocalypse Bust. Bust was not initially able to balance itself without possibly being glued to the base, which is not something I want to do at this point. I decided to front-load the Neck Armor and thus had to re-design parts of it. Front loading the armor successfully balanced the piece and will take stress from the final base.

Link to video down below:

https://youtu.be/gji5Xy7o93Q

robpauza

Postby robpauza » Tue May 08, 2018 12:27 am

JL Mussi wrote:I decided to do a video update on the Neck Armor for my 3d Printed Apocalypse Bust. Bust was not initially able to balance itself without possibly being glued to the base, which is not something I want to do at this point. I decided to front-load the Neck Armor and thus had to re-design parts of it. Front loading the armor successfully balanced the piece and will take stress from the final base.

Link to video down below:

https://youtu.be/gji5Xy7o93Q

Really great work all around. Love your clean modeling and finishing work. Just out of curiosity, how much weight did you end up using to hold it down? Again, really nice work and thanks for sharing the video.

-Rob

JL Mussi

Postby JL Mussi » Fri May 11, 2018 4:57 am

Hey Rob,

I ended up being able to put 4 pounds of weight. I think once I design the final base along with the weights it will hold up like a champ.

The amount of prep work is massive on this! One of the seems on the armor i have to do some more sanding on to get it completely smooth. Seams are somewhat tricky to complete erase. I also recently started using higher grit sand paper on after my primer...I was using around 220 but I think I was taking off too much.

Hows your sanding process go? Do you use filler primer?

JL Mussi

Postby JL Mussi » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:17 am

New video out! I break down the following:

► The initial concept and character design.
► 3d modeling and digital sculpting in Zbrush.
► The use of live booleans in Zbrush for designing and preparing the model for 3d printing.
► The 3d printing process along with showing time lapse footage on a Raise 3d N2+.

Last edited by JL Mussi on Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

robpauza

Postby robpauza » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:19 am

Hi JL,

So sorry. I totally missed the notification that you posted.... like 3 months ago. :o That thing is coming along great. Just watched your video and subbed btw. Definitely cool stuff.

Finishing is a pain in the butt with plastic. I print mostly with PLA and have yet to find the perfect solution. I have found that different filaments, and even different colors sand better than others. Filler primer works well in certain instances, but I mostly just use regular filler, then sand, then fill, then sand, then..... Ugh! That XTC3d stuff and also Zap Z-Poxy work decently, but again, only in certain situations. It would be good for your hard surface parts, but would destroy your fine ZBrush texture details. If used thinly, it will basically give you a thin coating that is a bit easier to sand than the plastic. But, gravity is a bitch. It will pool on you super fast and seep into details you want to preserve. In fact, maybe just ignore what I said altogether. :)

Anyway though, it sure looks like you've got it figured out. Again, great work.

-Rob

Return to “User's Gallery”