Patterns for Aluminium Sand Casting

Show off your prints, mods, etc.
caxton3d

Re: Patterns for Aluminium Sand Casting

Postby caxton3d » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Jason, I am confused now.
Why is IdeaMaker therefore telling me that the model is outside the printable area?

This is the size that I am trying to print. I have selected a raft 10mm larger all round the model, so my maximum width is 300mm.
Should I be able to print this?

Thanks for your help.
Pattern making for the restoration of vintage Dennis Fire Engines

jmp

Postby jmp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 pm

First do a test, create a model that is square in x and y (say 200x200) and a few mm thick. Then select model->auto fit to build volume. In my case it set the size of the model to 304x304. Try it both with raft on and raft off to see what you get. If you get the full build volume then maybe your model was rotated?
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:13 pm

also check the printable area box so you can see where the problem is, I had problems at the back of my prints.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:18 am

Both left and right nozzle can print 305*305mm when you use them separately. 0-305 in X for left and 25-330 in X for right.
If you are using dual, the crossing area where left and right can both reach is only 280 in X (25-305) and 305 in Y.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:26 am

caxton3d wrote:Jason, I am confused now.
Why is IdeaMaker therefore telling me that the model is outside the printable area?

This is the size that I am trying to print. I have selected a raft 10mm larger all round the model, so my maximum width is 300mm.
Should I be able to print this?

Thanks for your help.

You model seems to close to the left and rear sides. The model itself is inside the printing area but with a 10mm offset raft, the raft is over the printing range at left and rear sides.
Please move the model to the center place.

gutenberg3d

Postby gutenberg3d » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 pm

I can now bring up to date the story of the patterns for the water manifold, but first this was one of the diversions along the way.

This was printed and then painted with 'Pattern Coat' which is a 2 part epoxy paint/filler. It is easy to rub down and makes the surface of the pattern smoother for easy extraction from the sand. Below are pictures of the part cast in iron by the Bridport (UK) foundry. They said it was one of the best printed patterns that they had seen!

As you can see all the detail was faithfully reproduced in the iron.

caxton3d

Postby caxton3d » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:47 pm

There has been a delay in printing the core boxes, as there has been diversions along the way. Here is a printed pattern for a throttle/ignition quadrant which is located around the steering wheel;

The print has been painted with 'Pattern Coat' which is a 2 pack epoxy paint/filler to give a smoother surface. It is essential in sand casting that the pattern is perfectly smooth so that it can be pulled from the sand easily.

This is the part back from the foundry cast in grey cast iron. The foundry said it was the best printed pattern that they had ever seen!

The foundry that was used is in Bridport (UK).

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Great Work!

caxton3d

Postby caxton3d » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:36 pm

The next diversion was some printed patterns so that 2 silencer end caps could be cast. The end cap looked like this;

You will see that all the dimensions are fractional imperial sizes, befitting something which was designed in 1910. The actual part needs what are called 'core prints' adding to it. These will make an extra additional depression in the sand, for the sand 'core' to rest in. The core is needed as we need a hollow part not a solid lump of metal.

The darker red/brown part is the core located in the sand mold.

We need to print both the actual part with the core prints and a 'core box' which will produce the sand cores. Everything needs to be split in half, so there was quite a lot of printing. This is one half of the main mold from Ideamaker.

This is one of the core boxes being printed. There is no significance to the red/black colour change, I just ran out of red filament! Notice the smooth concave surface which will require the minimum of finishing before it can be used by the foundry.

The final set of prints are shown below.

These patterns are now at he foundry and the end caps are being cast at this very moment in grey cast iron. I think it is easy to gain the impression when looking at this forum that 3D printing is just about printing 'toys'. One hundred years ago (and even today) patterns like this would have been made in wood by craftsmen of immense skill. 3D printing on a large format printer such as the Raise brings pattern making into the hands of the likes of me who have little or no woodworking skills.

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Amazing and beautiful work, thanks for sharing!

caxton3d

Postby caxton3d » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm

These are the castings back from the foundry. They are cast in grey cast iron. As you can see the surface finish is excellent. As always with 'split patterns' there is a bit of 'flash' along the split line, but this is easily cleaned off with a grinder.

It is unfortunate that the real world engineering advantages of 3D printers is overshadowed by the perception that they are only used for the printing of cartoon novelties.

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Good work. It is a example of the printers ability as well as your own. Thank you for this.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 pm

awesome stuff

Return to “User's Gallery”