Fan Mod (Extra Gcode Controlled Fan)

Show off your prints, mods, etc.
3DWP

Fan Mod (Extra Gcode Controlled Fan)

Postby 3DWP » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:29 pm

I 3D printed and uploaded a fan mod on Thingiverse. In this setup the 35 mm fans only cool the cold end and an extra 40 mm fan on the front can cool the prints using gcode. Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2792586

I made this with Formfutura Premium ABS as it can handle the heat. It was made on my N2 Plus Dual, can anybody confirm this will fit all N series?

Raise3DFanMod.jpg

Jetguy

Re: Fan Mod (Extra Gcode Controlled Fan)

Postby Jetguy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:45 pm

It will, all use the same central cross block and lower mounting plate, all have the same tapped hole locations. I also think general clearance from the homed position in XY to the frame and front door is very close or identical. I can print one and try for you on my N1 and N2 Plus today to confirm.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm

FWIW, one of my favorite of all time 40x10mm fans that are nice and quiet but long lasting and good airflow. https://www.amazon.com/MagLev-HA40101V4 ... B075MM7YFG

That's a 2 pack with the correct connectors for $9 Amazon prime. They are normally about $8 a piece so even if you don't need 2, the price is worth it.
I cannot stress enough, these are some of the best fans I have used in that 40x10mm size.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks, I am looking for some good fans as I would like some more airflow. The one in the picture of my print is also 0.8W, maybe I can find some Sunon with a bit more. For instance, this is 1.2W and moves 13.59M3/hour:

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/1-Stuck-Lufter- ... SwImRYVuiu

Is there info about how much we can get from the extruder board? It's probably no issue but don't want to draw too much :lol:

I started with a Noctua.. very silent but that's for the most part because they don't have much airflow.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Is there info about how much we can get from the extruder board? It's probably no issue but don't want to draw too much :lol:

I've talked about that before. The extruder fans and everything 12V in the printer are powered by a single onboard regulator on the mainboard lowering the 24V from the main PSU. The datasheet for that regulator IC lists a 3A rating. Keep in mind, thermal details, the other required external components all come into play. That 12V power is exposed on the mainboard as the 3 JST-XH constant on plugs.
Motion board connectors updated2.jpg

In addition the ribbon cable to the extruder head uses 2 pins to carry 12V to the extruder head breakout. The MOSFETs for the fan outputs are on the extruder head breakout and are rated at far more current (70A) than the wiring to the breakout over only 2 wires and pins can handle. The fan pins in that cable are carrying the 5V processor signal to the gate of the FETs on the breakout board. Again, all 12V power at the head is carried over only 2 pins and 2 wires of the ribbon cable.
mainboard ribbon cable connector detail.jpg

raise3d NuEi headbreakout.jpg.jpg

The known 12V load sharing that 12V source and 3A max (probably should give yourself some margin):
The mainboard cooling blower is 12V. (Plugs into one of the 3 labeled 12V JST-XH connectors on the mainboard)
The 1-2 LED strips in the printer are 12V (Plugs into one of the 3 labeled 12V JST-XH connectors on the mainboard)
The extruder cooling fans (powered via the ribbon cable to the extruder head breakout)
The print layer gcode controlled fan output(s) (same ribbon cable power source)

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for al the info, so 1.2W in stead of 0.8W is no problem. :?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 pm

I would say fine.

Just out of curiosity, measure the voltage out of the 12V constant on socket next to the ribbon cable connector when you have the gcode controlled fan on and the other fans are running. That would show voltage drop across the long ribbon cable with your load. Probably nothing at all. That said, the 12V is powering nothing but the fans at the extruder head breakout. Thermocouples and the amplifiers are separate and 5V powered, the 24V heater circuit is completely isolated. Just saying, voltage sag just affects the extruder cooling fans. As long as you don't overload the source at the mainboard, you don't smoke the wiring or pin connections = game on. I've considered adding just a small set of LEDs right on the head to better see the print to the constant on output.
raise3d NuEi headbreakout.jpg.jpg

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Hey thanks, i was looking into a parts cooling fan for quite some time. I even copied and printed out one version from thingverse nut realized, this rear mounted option won't work on my N1.

I use EBM Pabst Fans with very good results.

They're not cheap at all, but when it's a sound-sensitive environment, worth every penny and they sure turn a lot of air and don't get weak and loud over a long time. In regards to 12V power consumption, if things get thight, one could come to the idea, that powering a new main board fan with 24 Volt directly from the PSU, probably mixing in a small temperature control device, wouldn't be a bad idea. And most likely, a quiter solution too ...

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Squenz wrote:Hey thanks, i was looking into a parts cooling fan for quite some time. I even copied and printed out one version from thingverse nut realized, this rear mounted option won't work on my N1.

I use EBM Pabst Fans with very good results.

They're not cheap at all, but when it's a sound-sensitive environment, worth every penny and they sure turn a lot of air and don't get weak and loud over a long time. In regards to 12V power consumption, if things get thight, one could come to the idea, that powering a new main board fan with 24 Volt directly from the PSU, probably mixing in a small temperature control device, wouldn't be a bad idea. And most likely, a quiter solution too ...

I was looking for one too but wanted to use a 40 mm fan like this one in stead of a radial fan. I believe the one on Thingiverse only cooled one nozzle. So I thought to combine some parts into one part cooling fan. I have just ordered those Sunon fans, for 3 I paid €15 shipping included :lol:
(if the eBay link is dead, this was the description: Sunon MagLev Fan KDE1204PFV2 12V 1.2W 40x40x10mm Vapo M8420)

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 pm

So I got the Sunon fans a while ago, the mod is working good for me although the flow isn't as much as expected it does cool the printed parts more.

Did anybody print and install it yet? Would love to hear feedback.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Hey, i got your design printed, but had serious warping issues with the filament used. Since then i haven't had a serious filament in the machine, only printing easter bunnies and such with ABS+, when i was printing at all.

I checked overall design, ruling it good so far, but i stumbled over the big holes you used for putting the parts together. Sooner or later i'll come up with nylon PA12 again and print the setup again. But i'm quite sure, i'll modify your design to use M3 or M4 bolts instead. Fitting fans are lying here, next to several other upgrades waiting to get on duty.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:58 am

Squenz wrote:Hey, i got your design printed, but had serious warping issues with the filament used. Since then i haven't had a serious filament in the machine, only printing easter bunnies and such with ABS+, when i was printing at all.

I checked overall design, ruling it good so far, but i stumbled over the big holes you used for putting the parts together. Sooner or later i'll come up with nylon PA12 again and print the setup again. But i'm quite sure, i'll modify your design to use M3 or M4 bolts instead. Fitting fans are lying here, next to several other upgrades waiting to get on duty.

I know what you mean, I remixed some parts and the hole was already there in the fan holder for some reason. I happened to have some screws here that fit so kept them. But maybe I can add other versions.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:36 pm

I added V2 files with smaller holes. The holes were 4 mm, they are now 2.5 mm so should fit some M3 bolts tightly :-)

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Great, thank you so much

RyeMoske

Postby RyeMoske » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Thank you for your explanations

I need help with your improvement. I have a CR10-mini printer and in my work we buyed a Raise N2+ Dual extruder.

Testing our machine we discover that I have better results with my CR10 when I print overhangs. You can see this example. The threads are the same STL model !!!!
Comparacion.jpg

We calibrated the extrusion and it looks fine. After this, reading this forum I thought there is an overheating problem in the desing's machine (we can see the new cooling system in the Raise Pro). I would like to implement your solution but the technical services does not allow us to do any change in the machine while the problem continues now.

Could you print an example to us to verify if there is an overheating problem and to show to the technical services that your solution works?

And another question. If is possible to control two fans with the breakout board (like Jetguy explained in another answer), could we implement the new cooling system in the N2 pro series in our N2+?

Best Regards, RyeMoske

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:36 am

Hello, the extra fan should cool a bit more when activated in gcode. I don't know if two fans could work - if there is enough current.

Return to “User's Gallery”