Loading filament doesn't stop!

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
stevetriple

Loading filament doesn't stop!

Postby stevetriple » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 am

Hi my Raise3d N2 won't stop loading filament until I turn it off (I mean turn off the printer!) :shock: ... how can I solve??
thank you

EldRick

Re: Loading filament doesn't stop!

Postby EldRick » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Don't use filament unloading/loading at all. Just cut the old filament just above the extruder, heat the hotend, and feed material to follow the old filament in with the new filament.
Unloading the filament causes a significant number of jams, when the hot filament catches in the transition from hot metal hotend to the teflon guide tube.
In a year, I have never used the R3D unload/load routine, and have never had a jam.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:24 pm

You mean even you finish the Filament Loading guiding process, press OK and back to other pages, the feeding gear is still rotating after a few minutes?
Does filament feeding and stop work properly during printing on your printer?

stevetriple

Postby stevetriple » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:You mean even you finish the Filament Loading guiding process, press OK and back to other pages, the feeding gear is still rotating after a few minutes?
Does filament feeding and stop work properly during printing on your printer?

Yes I mean that. The filament feeding works good while printing, but the loading process won't stop when I hit OK...

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Just don't use that process at all - it's pointless.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Which version of firmware is currently on your printer?

stevetriple

Postby stevetriple » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:44 am

EldRick wrote:Just don't use that process at all - it's pointless.

So what should I do? I am feeding the new filament to follow the old filament after cutting it, but do I have to do it by manually hit the E feeding in the menu?

stevetriple

Postby stevetriple » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Which version of firmware is currently on your printer?

Firmware version 1.1.1

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:03 pm

"I am feeding the new filament to follow the old filament after cutting it, but do I have to do it by manually hit the E feeding in the menu?"

Yes, exactly. I usually feed about 300mm of new filament, to ensure that the previous filament is completely purged from the nozzle.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:38 pm

stevetriple wrote:

Firmware version 1.1.1

May I know the version of RaiseTouch?
When did you first meet this loading issue? From the very beginning or after a firmware update?

stevetriple

Postby stevetriple » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:08 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
stevetriple wrote:

Firmware version 1.1.1

May I know the version of RaiseTouch?
When did you first meet this loading issue? From the very beginning or after a firmware update?

Version 0.9.9.509. This issue begun without any changing or update

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Strongly recommend you update to raise touch 0.9.11 because there are known bugs in 0.9.9 and that's why you won't find 0.9.9 available for download even in the all versions page. Second, nobody should be running motion controller firmware 1.1.1 because it too has a known bug with pause and lacks the thermal runaway protection code present in 1.1.16.

I'm not saying that is "the" problem here with it failing to stop unloading, but let's take a second and understand how the system works.
The front panel is sending line by line gcode commands to the motion controller board, the motion controller board is simply reading those commands and making the movement and heater controls of the actual hardware of the printer. As such, the load filament command is sending a bunch of relative extrusion movements until you hit stop when it stops sending them. It is not a stop command. The reason for clarrifying this important detail is critical in understanding this complex system of 2 totally different controllers talking to each other and how their firmware interacts.
So, if your printer is still extruding:
#1 your touchscreen press was not registered by the Raise touch software
#2 the raisetouch software version running on the LCD is still sending gcode commands to the motion control board to command more filament extrusion.
#3 The firmware version on the motion controller board had literally nothing to do with any of this. Either 1.1.1 or 1.1.16 would have worked the same way and as a function, don't just keep extruding. They must be getting commands to extrude over USB.

Again, because of the architecture of the system, things we can know:
#1 this was not a fault of the motion control board or it's firmware. There is no condition where that board will keep extruding on it's own. It must be getting a steady stream of commands to continue extruding. When those commands stop or are interrupted, the motion stops.
#2 The raise touch software is the one sending the commands. Therefore, it's either a fault where the touch simply was not registered, or the software continued to send gcode commands after registering a stop. Since again, 0.9.9 had known issues, and further raise touch versions were released to correct those issues (0.9.10 and now 0.9.11) it's important for users to follow these topics frequently in the forum. The system does not auto update and notification of a new version or bugfix is not going to pop up and tell the user to update.

More likely than not, this was a simple issue of the touch not being registered by the capacitive touchscreen.
Which goes back to, the tip to ensure your touches are registered on the LCD is to with one hand on the printer, touch the metal frame or a metal screw into the frame while using your other hand to touch the LCD. For whatever reason, this ensure the touch is registered better rather than just a single finger and nothing else touching the entire printer and just the LCD screen. I didn't make the system, I'm just telling you how it works.
Last edited by Jetguy on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:57 pm

If updating firmware doesn't help, please advise.

stevetriple

Postby stevetriple » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:33 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:If updating firmware doesn't help, please advise.

Nothing changed after the upgrade...

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:12 pm

EldRick wrote:Don't use filament unloading/loading at all. Just cut the old filament just above the extruder, heat the hotend, and feed material to follow the old filament in with the new filament.
Unloading the filament causes a significant number of jams, when the hot filament catches in the transition from hot metal hotend to the teflon guide tube.
In a year, I have never used the R3D unload/load routine, and have never had a jam.

I'm not as experienced as others, but I can say that I unload every time I am going to shut down. I have never had a jam due to unloading. :|
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:02 am

Double confirm, so currently you are running 1.1.6rev1 and 0.9.11 on your N2?
After pressing OK and move to home page, the feeding gear will still keep on rotating for long time until cut the power off? But filament loading and unloading during printing run properly?

stevetriple

Postby stevetriple » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Double confirm, so currently you are running 1.1.6rev1 and 0.9.11 on your N2?
After pressing OK and move to home page, the feeding gear will still keep on rotating for long time until cut the power off? But filament loading and unloading during printing run properly?

All correct

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:08 am

Would you like to export a log from your printer after you choose to finish the loading but the filament is still loading?

Return to “Hardware”