Berd-air print quality issue

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Jetguy

Re: Berd-air print quality issue

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:49 pm

Also, there is a difference in the install and path here.
On mine, I come in from the side and minimize the tubing contact to the heater block. Since the heater block is a rectangle, there is a long side and a short side. So again my path and bend has minimal contact length from the side of the block.
IMG_0629.JPG

Your install has the pipe more from the rear, so a longer length of the tube is in contact with the heater block via the silicone which does conduct a fair amount of heat to the aluminum tubing. Again, by estimation, you have several mm more of total contact, and contact before the cooling ring to "preheat" the air before even rounding the ring and exiting the holes.
40AE8ACE-38DD-4A4A-BAE3-69267135BF7F.jpeg

In fact, your tube runs the length of the block, and even has the second bend in such a way it goes around the heaterblock heat cartridge clamping screw area.

Iamkar33m

Postby Iamkar33m » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Jetguy, that was my observation too, I am re-printing the clamps that hold the pipe so that it comes in from the side and minimizes contact with the heat block. I will report back with my findings.

Best,
Kareem

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:04 am

just to point out. unless you mod your printer like I have mine. you are pulling hot air from inside the printer to cool your print. even with my mod, I'm not sure if it fully prevents the outside edges from heating. likely you want to mount the pump outside of the enclosure to pull colder air in. I still need to order my pump and they are currently out of stock on the 24 volt ones. but this is an upgrade I am going to do now.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Iamkar33m

Postby Iamkar33m » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:14 am

firesped wrote:just to point out. unless you mod your printer like I have mine. you are pulling hot air from inside the printer to cool your print. even with my mod, I'm not sure if it fully prevents the outside edges from heating. likely you want to mount the pump outside of the enclosure to pull colder air in. I still need to order my pump and they are currently out of stock on the 24 volt ones. but this is an upgrade I am going to do now.

That's a good point, what if I ran a hose from the "intake" to outside the enclosure? I like where I have the pump mounted now because it's essentially hidden in the printer's black plastic casing.

- Kareem

Vice Chief

Postby Vice Chief » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:26 am

I suppose that is also true of the stock fans, though the Berd design might make it worse.

Return to “Hardware”