Replace Extruder Fan

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
NewbPilot

Replace Extruder Fan

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Is there a video or walk-through on replacing extruder fans? I obviously know how to unscrew the fan, but on the N1 it looks like the wire feeds up through the extruder to the board. I just want to make sure I understand what I may need to take off, loosen, etc.

Thanks
Matt

Jetguy

Re: Replace Extruder Fan

Postby Jetguy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:17 pm

My best advice would be to not take it apart, simply unbolt the obvious 2 screws holding the failed fan and gently pull the wires down through the central crossing block. Don't bother putting the new fan's wires back that way, they can just run up the side.
There is zero reason other than cosmetics to jam the wires up through the central hole. Both My N1 and N2 have new fans and have never since had the wires go through the center holes with the heater and thermocouple. It's just too much work for too little gain. it can and will run neatly right up the side of the central cross block without much effort.

The more you take apart, the deeper the hole you dig yourself into.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Jetguy wrote:My best advice would be to not take it apart, simply unbolt the obvious 2 screws holding the failed fan and gently pull the wires down through the central crossing block. Don't bother putting the new fan's wires back that way, they can just run up the side.
There is zero reason other than cosmetics to jam the wires up through the central hole. Both My N1 and N2 have new fans and have never since had the wires go through the center holes with the heater and thermocouple. It's just too much work for too little gain. it can and will run neatly right up the side of the central cross block without much effort.

The more you take apart, the deeper the hole you dig yourself into.

Thank you! Perfect answer! I am so very grateful, because I was trying to avoid dissecting it.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:40 am

My extruder fan has failed on the right extruder. It seems like there is a short in the cable somewhere.

What port is it plugged into on the control board ? How difficult is it to remove it from the extruder assembly ?

I'm fairly competent at soldering, so I know I can repair it. I just need to know what socket to unplug it from.
Thanks!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:01 am

If yours is dual-extruder, fans are at the last two slots.
If yours is single, then right side fan is at the second slot (from left to right).
1.png

Won't be very hard to remove. Unscrew the fixing screws and unplug the connector on board. Then you can drag the wire out from the crossing block.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:14 pm

It can be difficult if the fan wire runs through the guide hole in the coldend. - If it is hard to get the plug through that hole, and the fan is broken, you can cut the wire plug off it and then pull out the wires. When you install the new one you can just loop the extra fan wire and attach it behind the cold block with a zip tie.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:03 am

walshlg wrote:It can be difficult if the fan wire runs through the guide hole in the coldend. - If it is hard to get the plug through that hole, and the fan is broken, you can cut the wire plug off it and then pull out the wires. When you install the new one you can just loop the extra fan wire and attach it behind the cold block with a zip tie.

The cable appears to have a short in it. When the cable is turned or bent in just the right position, it comes on. It's being passed through the hole in printhead carrier block, the same one that the thermocouple and thermostat pass through, so perhaps cutting it and redoing it might be better. I certainly have enough of that gauge wire and JST terminals to do a complete rewire if I need to.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:29 am

jetdillo wrote:
walshlg wrote:It can be difficult if the fan wire runs through the guide hole in the coldend. - If it is hard to get the plug through that hole, and the fan is broken, you can cut the wire plug off it and then pull out the wires. When you install the new one you can just loop the extra fan wire and attach it behind the cold block with a zip tie.

The cable appears to have a short in it. When the cable is turned or bent in just the right position, it comes on. It's being passed through the hole in printhead carrier block, the same one that the thermocouple and thermostat pass through, so perhaps cutting it and redoing it might be better. I certainly have enough of that gauge wire and JST terminals to do a complete rewire if I need to.

I got around to doing this the other night. I cut the cable off close to the fan and just made a whole new one. Rather than try to feed that back through the cold-end hole that the heater-thermocouple cables run through, I just ran it outside and zip-tied it back against the PCB that the fans plug into. It works fine. Thanks for the help and pics.

Return to “Hardware”