no endstop function from home position

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Behold

no endstop function from home position

Postby Behold » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 pm

I know this sounds redundant but at the end of a print, the head is homed anyway.

When I start a new print the homing sequence starts and a large noise is heard in both the x and y-axis as the head attempts to home again.

Homing from anywhere else on the bed functions normally but when home from the front left the carriage doesn't engage the end stops with enough force.

The x-axis end stop squarely touches the switch in the proper manner.

Do the end stops need to be replaced? Does it sound like something else is going on?

Vice Chief

Re: no endstop function from home position

Postby Vice Chief » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:07 pm

You might just need to adjust the stop. You can unscrew it and reposition it or you can bend the lever a little bit. Check also that the wire connection is solid and it's not partially unplugged.

Behold

Postby Behold » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm

I already tried bending the stop lever. I'll try repositioning the entire endstop board

Iamkar33m

Postby Iamkar33m » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Try to activate the endstop with your finger. If it ignores and keeps moving, then you've got a bad switch or loose cable.

Behold

Postby Behold » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 pm

it actuates with my finger. I did not mention that we did that previously. Thanks for the advice tho

Behold

Postby Behold » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:08 pm

I would say the best thing to do in any x and y printing anomaly is to check the gantry alignment, even with situations like mine with endstop issues.

It doesn't take much torsion to cause a slight bind and the simplest binding will effect actuation of the end stops in some instances.

I followed the alignment procedure found on the ultimaker site here: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/19953-aligning-the-axles

It very clearly describes the fix. Raise3d should have a similar well explained page.

Use the axis clips that shipped with your printer. They were very helpful

This solved my issues

Return to “Hardware”