Error: thermal runaway... Now both extruders unresponsive

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Error: thermal runaway... Now both extruders unresponsive

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:33 am

Ribbon cable has one-year free warranty. If you purchased your printer at Sep., 2017, you should can get a free ribbon cable if you have a defective one.
Please advise me your ticket number, I will double check with the technician for you.

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Ribbon cable has one-year free warranty. If you purchased your printer at Sep., 2017, you should can get a free ribbon cable if you have a defective one.
Please advise me your ticket number, I will double check with the technician for you.

Both of my printers are still in warranty and I sent proof of purchase for both printers to Mathew C. who is managing my Ticket (#3567) 15 days ago to get replacement ribbon cables for both printers and he has yet to respond.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 pm

pearson222 wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Ribbon cable has one-year free warranty. If you purchased your printer at Sep., 2017, you should can get a free ribbon cable if you have a defective one.

Both of my printers are still in warranty and I sent proof of purchase for both printers to Mathew C. who is managing my Ticket (#3567) 15 days ago to get replacement ribbon cables for both printers and he has yet to respond.

The support team told me that you had modified your printer, which might void your warranty.

Iamkar33m

Postby Iamkar33m » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:25 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
pearson222 wrote:

The support team told me that you had modified your printer, which might void your warranty.

Modification of the printer should not void the warranty unless you can prove it was in-fact the modification that is directly responsible for causing the malfunction. For example, if my ribbon cable breaks and I have upgraded to Panucutt drivers, there is no possible way new drivers would cause the ribbon cable to break. However, if my cable broke and I had installed a bondtech extruder, that might be cause as you must detach the board/cable and re-attach it to the new extruder assembly.

Just my 2 cents.

- Kareem

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 am

Iamkar33m wrote:Modification of the printer should not void the warranty unless you can prove it was in-fact the modification that is directly responsible for causing the malfunction. For example, if my ribbon cable breaks and I have upgraded to Panucutt drivers, there is no possible way new drivers would cause the ribbon cable to break. However, if my cable broke and I had installed a bondtech extruder, that might be cause as you must detach the board/cable and re-attach it to the new extruder assembly.

Just my 2 cents.

- Kareem

Thanks for sharing your opinion!
But based on our support history, seems pearson has done some modifications for his extruder, hotend, heating rod and thermocouplers, which we think may affect ribbon cable.

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Iamkar33m wrote:Modification of the printer should not void the warranty unless you can prove it was in-fact the modification that is directly responsible for causing the malfunction. For example, if my ribbon cable breaks and I have upgraded to Panucutt drivers, there is no possible way new drivers would cause the ribbon cable to break. However, if my cable broke and I had installed a bondtech extruder, that might be cause as you must detach the board/cable and re-attach it to the new extruder assembly.

Just my 2 cents.

- Kareem

But based on our support history, seems pearson has done some modifications for his extruder, hotend, heating rod and thermocouplers, which we think may affect ribbon cable.

I have the Bondtech extruders but that is the only modification to my printers. Both printers have thermal runaway events and after troubleshooting with members of the community (Jetguy - one of the most knowledgable and trusted) the consensus is that the ribbon cable is 100% at fault.

I have trimmed the first 10" off the ribbon cable (extruder board side) and crimped a new connector on since Raise3D is refusing to honor the warranty and I need the printers up and running ASAP. Still I am getting the Error: Thermal runaway extruders shut off...

How would having a Bondtech extruder create a fault in the ribbon cable which is housed inside the chain cable carrier?

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:25 pm

For having purchased (2) of their top-of-the-line printers less than a year ago @ +$8,000 you would think Raise3D would be more than willing to replace $5 worth of cable less than a year later, while still under warranty - regardless of having a Bondtech extruder or not.

As our company is looking to add another 5 machines to our lab, I have crossed Raise3D off the list from this experience alone. From reading through the forum over the past year it seems I am not the only one with a sour taste in my mouth shortly after ownership.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:19 pm

I agree, if they won't cover you because you have the bondtech upgrade which they sell on their site now... that is not right. Like you said, they are loosing major business because of cheap faulty components that they won't make better and won't replace.

I am seeing a major theme of discontent among Raise3D Owners lately. It continues to get worse. I recently sold the 2 printers we purchased from another company because their customer support got so horrible that I wanted nothing to do with them anymore. I planned on buying the Pro2 as a replacement for them but I'm not so sure about this anymore. I really hope they can turn this ship around quickly. It's not looking good right now.

I would think a company that wants to keep its name above the rest would quickly and graciously send these cheap replacement parts to keep their customers happy and show their amazing customer service. If it was my company that's what I would do, even if it cost a little out of pocket, it would be worth it in the long run for sure to keep your customers happy. Many people are seeing these issues, and there are many companies that these people work for that they would have convinced to purchase these printers like I have. But now it's looking like this may not be the best choice.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:22 am

pearson222 wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

- Kareem

I have the Bondtech extruders but that is the only modification to my printers. Both printers have thermal runaway events and after troubleshooting with members of the community (Jetguy - one of the most knowledgable and trusted) the consensus is that the ribbon cable is 100% at fault.

I have trimmed the first 10" off the ribbon cable (extruder board side) and crimped a new connector on since Raise3D is refusing to honor the warranty and I need the printers up and running ASAP. Still I am getting the Error: Thermal runaway extruders shut off...

How would having a Bondtech extruder create a fault in the ribbon cable which is housed inside the chain cable carrier?

I apologize about our support team not providing
May I ask some pictures of your hotend, heater rod, extruder board of your two printers (heard that you have two printers with issue)to double confirm your issue with the support team?

Return to “Hardware”