Fume Hood

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
jetdillo

Fume Hood

Postby jetdillo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:39 pm

I'm wondering what people here are doing for fume extraction and fume hoods.

I've been using PLA for most of the past year or so and only occasionally printing ABS, so having a box fan set to "exhaust" that fits into the window next to my N2+ has been fine.

I'm starting to print more PETG, ABS, ASA and less PLA, so I'm now thinking it might be time to move to a more active system.
I've thought of a couple things:
1. A full-on cover ala what Billucas is making, with a hole cut in the top , attach a dryer-hose to that and run it up to the fan.
2. cut a hole in the side of the right-hand door, attach a hose there and run that to the fan.

3. I don't often print full-height objects, so maybe just a fume-extractor like I have on my soldering bench inside the print chamber would do the trick. It would help with keeping the air around the print at temperature.

Please to be making with the quibbling :)

detroitus

Re: Fume Hood

Postby detroitus » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:34 pm

I just made a filter casing with a small HEPA filter and activated charcoal filter that I attached a USB-powered blower fan to and set on top of the printer. It's cheap, easy, and doesn't require cutting into anything.

Return to “Hardware”