Extruder Jam and stuck fillament Pro2

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
ReaperX43

Extruder Jam and stuck fillament Pro2

Postby ReaperX43 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Been printing all week non stop since i got the printer for work and it worked great. But when I came in to check the printer today, I noticed that there was a jam, and found that it happened at the extruder gear. The filament was chewed through, so the top part just came out, while the bottom half is jammed into the extruder. I am not able to push it up from the bottom and also dont have any grip to pull it out from the middle. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Extruder Jam and stuck fillament Pro2

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:12 am

Please shoot us a support ticket at help.raise3d.com to let our technician to help fix your issue.
And advise your filament type and printing setting inside your ticket. if we have experience with your filament, we can share your some tips.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 am

ReaperX43 wrote:Been printing all week non stop since i got the printer for work and it worked great. But when I came in to check the printer today, I noticed that there was a jam, and found that it happened at the extruder gear. The filament was chewed through, so the top part just came out, while the bottom half is jammed into the extruder. I am not able to push it up from the bottom and also dont have any grip to pull it out from the middle. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Have you tried jogging the extruder that's stuck via the front-panel back and forth a few times to see if that shakes anything loose ?

ReaperX43

Postby ReaperX43 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:38 pm

jetdillo wrote:
ReaperX43 wrote:Been printing all week non stop since i got the printer for work and it worked great. But when I came in to check the printer today, I noticed that there was a jam, and found that it happened at the extruder gear. The filament was chewed through, so the top part just came out, while the bottom half is jammed into the extruder. I am not able to push it up from the bottom and also dont have any grip to pull it out from the middle. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Have you tried jogging the extruder that's stuck via the front-panel back and forth a few times to see if that shakes anything loose ?

Yeah tried that already, the filament is way too worn out near the gear to have any effect on it.

Prop-Fiction

Postby Prop-Fiction » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Hey of this is The same issue that i have than it blocked in The thraot Tube i think.
I think that Happens of you pull back hot filament to change it. i try everything but you have to clean Update The throat Tube. Get The hot end out Nozzle out and you will See in this is filament. Hard like Stone ..
Hope this helps.
Es gibt kein das „geht nicht“, immer nur eine Frage des Geldes oder der Zeit.

Schlaf wird überbewertet.

My Costume website
http://www.prop-fiction.de

Prop-Fiction

Postby Prop-Fiction » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Ps. This Happens by me with The white pla as well.
I think The white pla is Shit..

Regurts. Carsten
Let me know of this helps to solved
Es gibt kein das „geht nicht“, immer nur eine Frage des Geldes oder der Zeit.

Schlaf wird überbewertet.

My Costume website
http://www.prop-fiction.de

ReaperX43

Postby ReaperX43 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 pm

The hotend part of the filiment came out in one piece when i took the extruder off so that shouldnt be a problem, just now the filament is stuck in the extruder, wont pull through nor will it be pushed up.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:54 pm

I keep having clogged extruder on my Pro2 too, I fixed it twice and after a couple of prints it’s clogged again.

I don’t know what causes this but I hope I can fix it soon.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:42 pm

I've stayed out of this because I do not have a Pro2 in front of me, but the answer that seems obvious to me is one simple look, what is different between the N2 and the Pro2? The answer is hotend, and specifically the size of the heatsink cooling the critical cold end side of the thermal barrier AKA throat tube. The key elements of the design is a sharp transition from cold unmelted filament to hot melted filament is all based on the throat tube and the heatsink ability to shed and transfer heat to the air via the heatsink.
The Pro2 has a very small heatsink compared to the N2 style V2 hotend. My immediate theory and question the instant the very first pictures showed this was if users get jams- this is likely the first place I would suspect the cause. Again, low temp filaments like PLA are extremely sensitive to temp of the filament path. The plastic loses mechanical strength and becomes soft like a wet noodle. It will find a space where it can deform. While we have yet to see the inside of the moving nozzle mechanism, obviously there has to be some room for the hotend to slide up and down and the filament path may have gaps or diameter changes. This may explain why people have seen stuck nozzle raising and lowering, why you are getting jams- if this area even gets warm or that fan is not effective, again, I think you would be surprised to know how low of a glass transition temp PLA has and how it does not even have to be hot for this problem to occur.

Again, 4 fins VS 8 fins, smaller total fin size VS much larger fin size, single fan cooling 2 hotends VS independent 30mm fans cooing each hotend. Lack of cooling exit area VS intake area (common rule is exit should be 2X larger than intake).
Attachments
Pro2 moving nozzles.jpg
PRO2 HOTEND ISSUE-edit.jpg
V2-Hot-End-Assembly-6_600x600.jpg
V2-Hot-End-Assembly-6_600x600.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Again, if it was me, first order of business since we saw at least one Pro2 series user completely oblivious to the fact this critical front cooling fan was not even plugged in correctly and spinning. If that fan is not spinning, the heat will conduct upwards and heat parts of this system that must remain cold. it's that simple.
Second, I would be giving this machine all the cool air I could by running with the lid off and the front door open or removed.
Third, I might even consider removing the side fans to allow more exit area (the hot air from the heatsink has to go somewhere, and that servo at the back and the fan mounts on the sides don't leave much room.
And, definitely monitor, even if just by doing it by hand, touch the extruder motors, touch the main central crossing block, and try to get an idea of how warm these areas are getting. I'd start breaking out my Multimeter with thermocouple probe and monitoring the heatsink temp in operation and other parts in that general area.

ReaperX43

Postby ReaperX43 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, the jam happened in the extruder portion, the hotend seemed fine. But anyways, i ended up taking the whole bondtech extruder apart and used a pin and small brass hammer to knock out the fillament that was stuck. The printer is up and running now.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:04 pm

ReaperX43 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, the jam happened in the extruder portion, the hotend seemed fine. But anyways, i ended up taking the whole bondtech extruder apart and used a pin and small brass hammer to knock out the fillament that was stuck. The printer is up and running now.

Mine also always happens at the extruder not the hot end, but every now then i keep getting it, let me know if it happens again and if you ever find a solution.

BazilFawlty

Postby BazilFawlty » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:10 am

I would like to thank Jetguy for his informative post. I too have been having issues printing with my Pro 2+ with the filament jamming in the extruder as opposed to the hot end. My jams would be like those in the photos in the original post.

Up until yesterday I would print with the top lid on but propped open at the front using some stands I printed from Thingiverse which lifts the front of the lid up 6" or so.

Yesterday I decided to remove the lid completely, left the front door open and I placed a 5" USB fan on top of the printer blowing air across the extruders. I managed to successfully print a 12 hour job yesterday where previously I would be lucky to get an hour into the print. I am in the UK and at the moment we have a bit of a heat wave too. Really pleased with the results. So I would echo the notion that additional air flow is needed.

elitetux

Postby elitetux » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Any idea on how to remove jammed filament? We have had issues previously where the filament gets cut right at the drive wheel. This time it did that but got stuck below the drive wheel. I took the top assembly off and am left with the white plastic tube and the filament is stuck about a half inch above the tube. I have heated it up and tried pushing it inward and then pulling out but nothing. Is there a disassembly guide for the hot end? It looks like I can remove the top 4 screws facing downward - will the hot end drop out if I remove these?

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:21 am

This is getting.old, I have the same issue yet again the pro2 is junk for what it cost. Constant jams especially on the left nozzle, had to disassemble today just to get it undone and the fan is junk. If you touch the blades they snap off. Pathetic for a 4k machine. Seems like lots of others in the same boat.

Kraken3d

Postby Kraken3d » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:30 am

I have the exact same heart aches with this machine. It always seems to be more of an issue on the left extruder than right for some unknown reason. I agree and have always said that heat creep has something to do with this issue. I had to disassemble the how damn extruder assembly today to clear the jam. Mine was not in the feed tube , it was not even at the nozzle. The filament had melted and stuck inside the PTFE lining above the hotend. Almost impossible to get it out. For a machine costing what these do I am in no way impressed. The Pro2 is no where near what the old machines seemed to produce in quality of build or quality of prints , not to mention being 1000.00 dollars more and plagued with issues. I wish I had never bought this machine.

Also the stock extruder cooling fan is junk, I had a blade break off with it running. After removing the fan today if you even touch the blades they fall off. I suspect the heat from the hot end creeping up has an effect on the blade. I guess the top quality machine should have used that great heat resistance material called Kapton tape to "protect" the fan like it "protects" the fan nozzle and servo. (being completely facetious here of course).

Just another over priced printer on the market- this time you don't even get what you pay for. I should have bought a Zortrax or Trilab Delta. MIght have not been perfect but could almost bought two for the price of this one.

bolsoncerrado

Postby bolsoncerrado » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 am

Overheating when printing PLA? This can't be good in the mid run :((((

calex_fr

Postby calex_fr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:07 pm

I have exactly the same problem... :(
alexandre Contat from France.

http://www.distudio3D.fr

elitetux

Postby elitetux » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Would it be possible to adapt the v2 N2 hotend heatsink onto the Pro 2? I realize you may lose some Z height and will need to calibrate it..but it seems like it might be worth it. The main issue I see is that it looks like the N2 version attaches via a threaded nut whereas the Pro2 uses a clamp.

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:32 pm

when I had my first bondtech on my N@ and did not have my steppers calibrated correctly. i had filament melting inside the housing for the bondtech because the motors were getting too hot causing the gears to be too hot.

i had to print new housings and remount all the hardware when they were damaged.

if this has happened, remove the bondtech and see if the hole is plugged.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Return to “Hardware”