half of the touch screen does not work

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
aldosai

half of the touch screen does not work

Postby aldosai » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:59 pm

The half of the touch screen does not work, the printer remained off for about 15 days and the battery is not fully charged, only the upper part of the screen works, the lower part does not. I just installed the run out sensor and the thermal protection, I was going to update the firmware and the touch screen software, but I can not because it does not let me select the file.

I connected a mouse to the printer and managed to update the firmware and the touch screen, the battery was fully charged and half of the touch screen still does not work.

Someone have an idea what is the problem?

Thank's

Jetguy

Re: half of the touch screen does not work

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:18 pm

That sounds like physical damage to the LCD or a loose cable. The actual LCD display portion is driven via a thin flat ribbon cable, then the touch signal to the board and backlight are driven with a wire style ribbon cable. Technically the same information as the Acadia applies here.
The difference is, Raise 3D had custom variation of the pcduino Acadia made, and in doing so, rather than the arduino style GPIO connectors, they made a direct cable connector. FWIW, I have seen at least one of my printers have the ribbon cable come unplugged, but then again, I opened the control box more time than I can count.

You could attempt to reseat the ribbon cables, but it likely requires removing the board as the wiring is on the bottom side of the board.
http://learn.linksprite.com/acadia/inst ... te-acadia/

The reason I also mentioned physical damage, is that if only part of the screen works for touch or display, know that any crack in the glass would cause 1/2 not to work. It's possible an unseated smaller thin ribbon cable might only display half the screen, but if we are talkign about touch interface, it's a single digital connection. By that, I mean if only 1/2 works with touch, then there is a chance the actual touch overlay glass over the LCD is damaged. If the ribbon cable for touch is unplugged or partially plugged then absolutely touch works or touch doesn't, but not 1/2 the screen.
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Just a couple of other notes here:
#1 the screen is capacitive touch based, meaning the screen needs your finger to be grounded. Since you wear rubber shoes and the screen sits inside a plastic box, when touches do not register, take your second hand and place it on the printer and touch a metal screw nearby the LCD (the frame of all N series printers has screws near the front door). This grounds your body and greatly improves touch response.

#2 barring that being the fix, again, highly suggest you take a picture and post it of the problem as it's a little unclear if touch is not being registered (you said you installed a USB mouse- and yes, good idea that does work) or if the screen is not displaying.
#3 I've taken some pictures of an N2/N2Plus newer style box. I urge you caution, pay extra attention if you go this far. The reset button and battery cable use the same JST connector however, plugging in the battery into the reset switch on the mainboard will blow the mainboard. Take time, mark the wiring and take a picture to prevent this costly mistake. I highly recommend unplugging the battery to ensure a slip does not short anything under power.
Attachments
IMG_0452.JPG
IMX6 backside connections.jpg
mainboard IMX6.jpg
battery and reset connectors.jpg
IMG_0448.JPG

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Again, the only scenario that after grounding your finger and attempting touch that 1/2 the screen responds to no touch, then the overlay may be damaged or the ribbon cable to the back of the LCD itself.
Attachments
LCD Module diagram.jpg
LCD touch ribbon.jpg

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 pm

It’s really really easy to tear the band cable from the lcd. :(. I know.

billbucket

Postby billbucket » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Capacitive touch screens don't require the user to be grounded. Higher resolution screens (relatively speaking) are often segmented into halves or quadrants to improve response time. You most likely have a damaged/unseated cable between the screen overlay and the display/touch module controller (as pictured by Jetguy).

aldosai

Postby aldosai » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:10 am

Thank you all for your comments, I will check the cables, the screen is not physically damaged or at least no crack or something similar is displayed, I'm going to take photos, upload a video link that I took.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MGA7z ... HoBaSxr6Hd

aldosai

Postby aldosai » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:48 pm

20180622_160312.jpg
20180622_155706.jpg
Thanks for your help, I checked the cables and everything seems to be in place, the touch screen still does not work. I placed a ticket and for guarantee Raise3D will send me the replacement of the touch screen. I was really surprised by the quick solution, because previously the technical service had been terrible. Previously on my other N1 single printer, I had problems with the ribbon cable, thanks to Jetguy I could fix it, before this the technical service made me buy the extruder card and when it did not work, they told me I should buy the motherboard. When I finally wrote in the community Jetguy immediately identified the problem, which the technical service did not do, they just made me spend on spare parts I did not need.

Return to “Hardware”