New idea for insulating a hot end rapidly

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
tja

Re: New idea for insulating a hot end rapidly

Postby tja » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:11 am

The key parameter is insulation, or "k" factor. The insulators I sell for Zortrax printers have a k factor of 0.48. And installation couldn't be much easier - a couple of silicone o-rings.

Julia, I like your elegant design. Are they a universal fit or do you sell a version for Raise hotends?

Casale8

Re: New idea for insulating a hot end rapidly

Postby Casale8 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:35 pm

zemlin wrote:
Casale8 wrote:I've been reading through these posts, and am curious the 390°f top temp is only ~199°c, isn't there a concern that this is low considering most printing is often done over 200°c?
Thoughts?

My thoughts ... there's going to be a temperature differential across any insulator.The glass liner sees the highest temps right against the heater block. The silicone outer skin will see the lowest temps in ambient (or enclosure temp) air. According to my IR thermometer the skin temp on this is about half the extruder temp. I might have been more nervous about the temps, except that my Makergear printer is insulated with what looks like an identical sleeve, and it's been fine at extruder temps as high as 300C.

The heavier insulation shows a wall thickness of 5/32". Multiply that 2x if you want to insulate a dual. Do you have an 8mm or 5/16" gap between the heater blocks?

As I previously had written, I'd try both. My intention was that I wouldn't insulate the second hot end, as I only need to print dual rarely (and will work around it if needed). I tried the larger RED and even before I brought it to working with the hot end, I cut the tube, and the insulation material started flaking FOD?!. There's no way I could have that over prints. It was a mess.

I have on order the other 2573k18.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Return to “Hardware”