Thermal Protector issue?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
bellatrixzen

Thermal Protector issue?

Postby bellatrixzen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:53 pm

I finally installed the thermal protector that was sent to me by Raise3D into the N2+.
I ran a 36 hour print (it printed great) but noticed that after the print finished, the left nozzle temp was indicating 209 (I printed at 215) with the set point at 0 degrees.
The print had finished in the middle of the night, so the extruder had about 6 hours to cool down to room temp.
I checked it by touch (carefully) and it was indeed room temperature, yet the "dial" display on the screen still indicated 209.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I had to leave for work, so instead of starting the next 30+ hour print I shut everything down.
When I get home I am going to make sure all connections are still in good shape and be sitting there to observe temp behavior when next print runs.

Jetguy

Re: Thermal Protector issue?

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:54 pm

That fault would indicate the entire hotend breakout and the thermal protector are not connected to the mainboard.
The entire intent of the device is to ensure the mainboard detects the instant the ribbon cable to the head breaks connection.

Are you an early Raise3D over or Kickstarter backer, with a mainboard that does not have the shroud?
Missing pin mainboard.JPG

If not, using hot glue to ensure that the connector to the thermal protector to mainboard cannot unplug is a good idea.

All newer mainboards should have the shroud, and the cable from the thermal protector has matching locks that prevent it from disconnecting.
Keyed socket.jpg

Thermal board.jpg

Again, testing sequence and expected results are detailed in this topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7553

bellatrixzen

Postby bellatrixzen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for response Jetguy

I have the newer board with the shroud. I had to remove the locking clips on the ribbon connector that plug into the mainboard as they were full of glue. I tried to remove the glue, but I was afraid I was going to damage the mainboard (there was a ton of glue on the damn thing and the shroud was moving around a bit).

I tested when I got home- turned on machine and temps displayed (cold) were correct. unplugged ribbon from mainboard. Instantly got the Maxtemp warning as I should.
Rebooted printer and am running a benchy. Will report back.

This morning when I noticed the problem, there was no error on the screen. It looked like it had went through proper cool down, but the temp display was "stuck".
Could this be a firmware problem? Currently running version 0.9.2.1026 and firmware version 1.1.1

I have noticed while preheating that often the extruder temp and bed temp will not update at same time even though I know both are on because I am watching the wattage (480w or so). IOW even though both are heating, the extruder temp shows rising/215 and bed roomtemp/40 even though I know it is on. It usually only updates AFTER the extruder has got to temp.

Just a little concerned I maybe broke a joint for one of the pins trying to get the damn glue off and it will only pop up and get weird once the mainboard gets warm after a long print...

UPDATE: ok I looked at mainboard firmware release notes and saw the ver 0.9.7 remarks about realtime temp update bug being fixed.
Gonna do my updates like a good boy and see how it goes.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:38 am

I would say yes, please update your firmware.
Definitely upgrade the motion control board firmware (marlin) to 1.1.16 because your 1.1.1 has no thermal safety, a known stepper timeout during a pause, and a few other issues.
Also update your Raisepack- however, i would say go to 0.9.7 until a newer version higher than the 9.10 release comes out.
This is because 0.9.9 and 0.9.10 both added features, and there is a print resume issue in 9.9 and a sorting issue of the files in 9.10 and a I suspect also in 9.9.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:40 am

Again, 0.9.7 Raisepack is my recommended update as of this exact moment in time- because 2 semi significant issues exist in updates 0.9.9 and 0.9.10 that we are fingers crossed, hoping fixed in whatever the next higher update is.

bellatrixzen

Postby bellatrixzen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Got everything updated last night, going to run a few tests tonight.

Thanks again

Return to “Hardware”