Hot end assembly and set screws

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
EastBaked

Hot end assembly and set screws

Postby EastBaked » Thu May 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi everyone,

Been a long time user of the n2/n2+. Pretty happy with the printers, been working with little to no trouble for a while.

I eventually reached the point where the hotend is coming loose and starts to be able to "spin" around. Decided it was time to take it out, clean it and tighten everything back. To save a little time, I decided to install one of the replacement hot end I ordered from R3d a few months ago.

Everything went fairly smoothly, until I decided to re-install the thermo coupler and heater rod. This is when I found out that the set screws don't go all the way in on the new hotend I have, so they don't reach far enough to get in contact with the heater rod or hotend.

I checked back on my old melted plastic covered hotend, those setscrews go all the way in with little to no effort, while on the new hotends they start getting harder to turn about 2/3 of the way in, and can at best get barely flush...

Am I missing something ? I tried with 2 brand new hot ends assembly I had, exactly the same issue on both.

Any help would be super appreciated !

Thanks in advance !

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Hot end assembly and set screws

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:33 am

Shoot us a support ticket. And attach a video if possible to help us analysis the root cause.

Jetguy

Re: Hot end assembly and set screws

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:00 am

You may have double setscrews in the holes. I found this too recently at the local maker space. The setscrews are short enough, more than one can thread into the long tapped hole. When you unknowingly try to tighten the one can can reach with the allen key, it binds against teh first screw deeper in the hole. Check by unscrewing out the screw then inserting the hex key into what should be now an open bore- except you probably find another setscrew.

Return to “Hardware”