Clips be Gone

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
JohnSays

Clips be Gone

Postby JohnSays » Sat May 26, 2018 6:47 pm

I've wanted to get rid of the clips since the first time I bumped one and it flew off into the room somewhere. I tried using 1/4" metal pins that fit into my glass (requires drilling every glass bed) and are attached to the heated bed. Too much work and still requires one clip. So now I have a workable solution that takes little money and not much work. Silicone thermal pads: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PPEW52. I slice into about 20mm strips with a razor blade -- cuts almost too easily. Then I place the strips around the edges of my glass. Make sure the edges seal against each other. This holds the heat in and allows a bed as flat as the glass is. The glass stays put far better than with the clips and the glass and strips remove without the pads sticking at all.

Thanks JetGuy for the suggestion to use strips around the plate rather than use the pad under the whole plate.

IMG_8062.JPG

IMG_8063.JPG
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board

EldRick

Re: Clips be Gone

Postby EldRick » Sat May 26, 2018 7:34 pm

You have retained the rear clips? Isn't that putting pressure on the back edge and potentially making it a little lower?

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat May 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Good point. I was thinking of them as stops, but I suppose it would be best to take the tops off of them and use them as stops. I have not noticed that the back is any lower... well actually I just remembered that I had to turn my adjustment screws back there a few more times than the ones in the front to get the bed level. Therefore, I think you are right. Thanks.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sat May 26, 2018 9:01 pm

Or maybe just pry them up until they don't press down on the glass at all, so they can act as just stops.

I take it that the glass doesn't slide on the silicone?

cullymoto

Postby cullymoto » Sat May 26, 2018 9:25 pm

EldRick wrote:Or maybe just pry them up until they don't press down on the glass at all, so they can act as just stops.

I take it that the glass doesn't slide on the silicone?

No sir.
The silicone in discussion is almost like an adhesive. It's always a little bit sticky, but not enough that it acts like a glue.
Holds just well enough to keep the glass from moving, but not so hard that you can remove the glass.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sun May 27, 2018 12:39 am

I like that it sticks to the glass better than the build plate so I can remove the whole thing as needed with ease.
- John

Iamkar33m

Postby Iamkar33m » Sun May 27, 2018 3:36 am

So you applied the silicone to the glass, not the bed? Each bed must have it's own silicone installed? Why not apply them to the bed that way you can use as many glass beds as you want without having to apply the silicone to each one?

- Kareem

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sun May 27, 2018 4:01 am

Well it does not stick to the bed as well as the glass. So, in reality, no real choice without a workaround. I wonder how well that would work? I stayed away from trying to do that as soon as I saw how well the silicone stuck to glass vs. the bed. Frankly, I was in a hurry and it worked so...

You could try it out if you get the chance. I've got to get some parts ready to show this coming week. I fly from Florida to CA to meet with some people interested in selling my line of products. Not much time for anything else right now.
- John

Return to “Hardware”