Filament Run-out Sensor Install Problem

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
bwulfe

Filament Run-out Sensor Install Problem

Postby bwulfe » Tue May 08, 2018 2:05 am

I'm having some difficulty with the installation of the Run-out sensor on my N2-Plus (Early Production, Kickstarter Backer #42). Specifically, the 4 mm OD Bowden Tubes will not fit inside of the factory 6 mm OD Tubes that came with my printer. At best, I can push the 4 mm tube, 1-2 CM into the 6 mm tube; before it sticks and bends if any additional force is applied. I have some new, spare 6 mm tubes that Raise3D included in a batch of spare parts, along with the nylon tipped bed-screw replacements. I tried those as well; with similar results. I have even tried to use a diamond-coated file to chamfer the end of the 4 mm tube, without any improvement. Has anyone else experienced this, as well? Any suggestions, other than ordering 4 mm Bowden Couplings?

bwulfe

Re: Filament Run-out Sensor Install Problem

Postby bwulfe » Tue May 08, 2018 4:15 am

Never mind; I didn't realize how cheap the Bowden couplings were on Amazon. Just ordered some to replace my 6 mm OD couplings.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 08, 2018 5:14 am

Do you have any tool on hand to measure the inner diameter of your origin tubes? Just want to make sure that is there any batch with different sizes tube that we don't realize.

bwulfe

Postby bwulfe » Tue May 08, 2018 5:36 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Do you have any tool on hand to measure the inner diameter of your origin tubes? Just want to make sure that is there any batch with different sizes tube that we don't realize.

It looks like that is the most likely problem. With Calipers, I'm getting an ID of about 3.85 -3.9 MM and OD is reading about 6.1 mm with a wall thickness of about 1.15 mm (Measurements of original Factory tubes). Considering some flex, a pin gauge would work best; but I don't have one in 4 mm.

The tubes in my kit are reading around 4.15 OD, average. Obviously, 4.15 OD isn't going to slide into a 3.9 ID opening. :(

Korni

Postby Korni » Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 am

Raise3D .... Errors, Failed, Problems no test videos ...... I hope my pre-order of the Pro2 was not a mistake :-(

kencfii

Postby kencfii » Mon May 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Having real trouble with mine too ----- but for different reason.

Getting the tube length correct on the bottom side (inside the printer) is a real issue.. It may be my brass fittings that are making this so difficult. For some reason - even when pressing and holding the blue tabs the tube will not go back through without a whole lot of force - because of that I bent my tubes and will need new ones... I kept messing with it to see if there is a better method but no help. Even tried taking the fittings out mounting the sensor and trying to fish the tubes in from above - problem is... the tubes have to make a wicked curve to get into the sensor because the sensor is mounted flush to the inner side of the printer - I guess this is no big deal or significant drag on the filament but you cant get the tubes to bend that way given the available space - so that is not an option.

I just hope that if/when those brass fittings worked correctly it will be easier....

I also noticed that the sensor came with opaque sticky tape on the entire back side of the sensor - covers the screws they mention in the instructions and after mounting there will still be sticky tape exposed - an easy fix but a bit annoying....

Also first picture in Step 6 :loading appears to have the L and R reversed - Orange filament is R NOT L (not a big deal but may confuse some)

I reported all this in a ticket and even called - hopefully they get me new tubes and fittings soon as I am now down :-(

kencfii

Postby kencfii » Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 pm

SO, on another note.... I was able to get up and running again as I had some lengths of bowden tube laying around (I believe they were the long ones that came with the printer in case of using softer filaments) - I cut them to size as they were the same diameter as the ones in the kit just too long..... I was able to get the lengths correct and get the sensor installed....

All seems fine so far but I do notice that the new setup seems to add a lot of friction on the filament.... seems much stiffer to pull filament through the sensor and new tube setup...

Hope it does not cause issues.....

Anyone else notice this???

Thanks

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 pm

I had run bowden tubes in these early. what I did was took the larger tubes that came with it and cut open a side so I could run the smaller tube into the larger tube.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

kencfii

Postby kencfii » Mon May 14, 2018 10:09 pm

So, I started a print and all seems well... However......
I cut the filament to test the sensors... the filament ran out through sensor and.....NOTHING happened....
ran the extruder dry :-(
so the sensors does not seem to do anything....I have a call into Raise 3D and waiting for them to call me back....

All seems hooked up per the instructions, the firmware is updated, and the printer prints fine.... but acts as if the sensor is not even there...

Ugh

Hescockrl

Postby Hescockrl » Tue May 15, 2018 4:21 am

I got mine all installed until I got to the point of hooking it up to the main board. The connector I was provided only has a single 4 pin connector, not the three separate connectors in the install directions.

20180514_193609.jpg

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue May 15, 2018 4:48 am

kencfii wrote:So, I started a print and all seems well... However......
I cut the filament to test the sensors... the filament ran out through sensor and.....NOTHING happened....
ran the extruder dry :-(
so the sensors does not seem to do anything....I have a call into Raise 3D and waiting for them to call me back....

All seems hooked up per the instructions, the firmware is updated, and the printer prints fine.... but acts as if the sensor is not even there...

Ugh

Just checking when you say “the firmware is updated”, did you use the 1.1.6frs.firm or latest “frs” firmware? If not, that’s likely the issue.

kencfii

Postby kencfii » Tue May 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Yup have the frs firmware

Warren G

Postby Warren G » Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm

I'm having problems as well. Installed the sensor and the 1.1.6frs firmware update. Ran a test print and when the filament ran out, nothing happened, the printer just kept going.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 am

Warren G wrote:I'm having problems as well. Installed the sensor and the 1.1.6frs firmware update. Ran a test print and when the filament ran out, nothing happened, the printer just kept going.

Have you update the touchscreen firmware together? To the latest version in download center?
Have you checked with the feeding direction of left and right side filament?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 16, 2018 6:14 am

Hescockrl wrote:I got mine all installed until I got to the point of hooking it up to the main board. The connector I was provided only has a single 4 pin connector, not the three separate connectors in the install directions.

20180514_193609.jpg

There is no three separate connector cable in your package? Would you like to shoot a mail to support@raise3d.com with the purchase information of your sensor.

kencfii

Postby kencfii » Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 am

OK,
looks like the new touch firmware may fix this.... I dont think that was published till just now....
Trying it now...

Not sure what you mean by left/right side filament...
When facing the printer sppols - Left is left and right is right... I assume - and that is how I have been doing it for months....
Step 6 : Loading has the L and R reversed in the instructions...

kencfii

Postby kencfii » Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm

OK,
well new touch firmware and motion firmware installed.
I verified the setting to turn on the filament sensor was activated...

and..... NOTHING happens again!

Filamnet just runs out... no response from printer...

Has anyone gotten this to work?

I am also concerned about the amount of drag on the filament after installing the run out sensor. It takes quite a pull now to get filament through the tubes to the print head. The printer does not seem to car are it is printing fine but all my experince tells me - you want as little drag on the filament as possible.

Seems like this drag is either due to the sensor itself (which seems to do nothing at this point) or the angle that the filament has to take to bend fom just under the top lid (brass fittings) to get into the top of the run out sensor....

anyone????

Hescockrl

Postby Hescockrl » Thu May 17, 2018 2:19 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Hescockrl wrote:I got mine all installed until I got to the point of hooking it up to the main board. The connector I was provided only has a single 4 pin connector, not the three separate connectors in the install directions.

20180514_193609.jpg

There is no three separate connector cable in your package? Would you like to shoot a mail to support@raise3d.com with the purchase information of your sensor.

Will do

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 17, 2018 3:35 am

kencfii wrote:
Not sure what you mean by left/right side filament...
When facing the printer sppols - Left is left and right is right... I assume - and that is how I have been doing it for months....
Step 6 : Loading has the L and R reversed in the instructions...

The Left and Right here refers to Left Extruder and Right Extruder.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 am

kencfii wrote:OK,
well new touch firmware and motion firmware installed.
I verified the setting to turn on the filament sensor was activated...

and..... NOTHING happens again!

Filamnet just runs out... no response from printer...

Has anyone gotten this to work?

I am also concerned about the amount of drag on the filament after installing the run out sensor. It takes quite a pull now to get filament through the tubes to the print head. The printer does not seem to car are it is printing fine but all my experince tells me - you want as little drag on the filament as possible.

Seems like this drag is either due to the sensor itself (which seems to do nothing at this point) or the angle that the filament has to take to bend fom just under the top lid (brass fittings) to get into the top of the run out sensor....

anyone????

May I ask a picture of your wiring to double confirm?
And would you like to export the log from touchscreen and share with us to check out the reason why the sensor doesn't work properly when running out of filament.

For the friction of loading filament, we just developed a new cover based on users' suggestions. If possible, would you like to print it out and give a try?
Filament Run-out Sensor Back Cover Upgraded Ver.STL
(408.38 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Return to “Hardware”