BTSN2 Build Plate for Raise3D N2 Printers

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Michael

BTSN2 Build Plate for Raise3D N2 Printers

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:38 pm

The BTSN2 build plate, is a drop in replacement for the borosilicate glass plate that comes stock with N2, N2 Dual or N2+ from Raise3D. The BTSN2 build plate is a composite laminate glass fiber originally made for the aerospace industry and transfers heat from the build plate heater to the surface better than the original non-tempered glass build plate. The BTSN2 build plate is slightly flexible, which helps in the removal of prints, however stiff enough to remain flat. This combination is key for our own large volume print service clients. Size is 340mm x 332mm and ready for you to apply your own BuildTak, Kapton, PEI, blue tape, glue stick, 3DLac or hairspray. The BTSN2 build plate is easily cleanable with isopropyl alcohol. The BTSN2 build plate can be continuously heated at 140c (284f) and is flame resistant.

We're proud to announce production began today.

Early bird pricing for the Raise3D community is $49.00 USD + shipping.

Those ordering in USA, will be upgraded to USPS Priority. Tracking & Custom information will be emailed when shipped.

URL for build plate details and online ordering: http://www.newriver.io/store.html

Shipping is expected to begin Monday 22-August-2016.

NOTE: We'd like to thank Raise3D management for giving us the opportunity and approval to post the above URL to the online store for the BTSN2 build plate!
Last edited by Michael on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Composite Build Plate for N2 Printers
http://www.newriver.io

EL Cuajinais

Re: BTSN2 Build Plate for Raise3D N2 Printers

Postby EL Cuajinais » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:14 am

Sounds interesting. Will probably order one if my boro plate breaks.

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Michael

Can you upload video showing how it work, especially the part where you can bend the plate to release the print object? Does it resist to crack under pressure better than borosilicate glass? I have already break my plate while trying to remove the large print object.

As you mentioned that it has good heat conductive - setting heat bed to 100c - what will be the top surface temperature at the center?

The product seems like a perfect solution for large build object as it can flex while still retaining its flatness.

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:24 pm

When removing a large object from glass, try rubbing an ice cube on the opposite side of the glass. Most of the time the item pops off (with a loud noise). I print on bare glass with Aquanet and it this works great for me.

AR_LA

Postby AR_LA » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:03 pm

How "good" is the heat transfer? Comparable to those silicone pads?

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:09 pm

AR-LA - different issue, you may still need thermal pads beneath this, however the plate itself is a better thermal conductor I think, I wonder about specific heat though, i.e. glass "holds" a lot of heat so once it's hot its temperature doesn't vary much even though the heater is cycling.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:05 pm

Ben Roj wrote:Hi Michael

Can you upload video showing how it work, especially the part where you can bend the plate to release the print object? Does it resist to crack under pressure better than borosilicate glass? I have already break my plate while trying to remove the large print object.

As you mentioned that it has good heat conductive - setting heat bed to 100c - what will be the top surface temperature at the center?

The product seems like a perfect solution for large build object as it can flex while still retaining its flatness.

Hi Ben, Working on the video today, just beware the first version of the video might be a little rough.

Thats exactly what we needed as well... we are printing a project that is near the limit of build volume, and we kept cracking the borosilicate glass plates. (Personal opinion is I hate using glass) We didn't want a lot of flex, just barely enough that would help to remove a part, while keeping the build plate robust enough to not break, even if we hammer on the part or the plate directly.

Good idea on the 100c temp center bed measurement, will do that as well. I'll measure it with a BuildTak sheet on the top and with out.
Last edited by Michael on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:32 pm

walshlg wrote:AR-LA - different issue, you may still need thermal pads beneath this, however the plate itself is a better thermal conductor I think, I wonder about specific heat though, i.e. glass "holds" a lot of heat so once it's hot its temperature doesn't vary much even though the heater is cycling.

Agree with Walkshig, however this is a good question that I'd like to know the real world answers too as well..

I'll also measure thermal conductivity & dissipation in a simple real world setting, so not an academic theoretical research paper level.

1) Heat the bed to 100c, stabilize there for say 30mins.
2) Drop the bed temp to 0c
3) Measure the time it takes to get back down to room temp.

Otherwise this becomes such an academic exercise I will never get back to the printing actual printing project. LOL

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:28 pm

great can't wait to get mine

RogerSt

Postby RogerSt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Michael:
I was looking on on you website for Ordering.
Because i order from europe, i want to order more than one.
So: if i increase the quantity to 2 i had to pay the shipping cost twice?
So how to order more than one with shipping cost (rest of the world) 34.50 ?
Raise3D N2 Plus
Mankati Fullscale XT Plus
C-Bot C-D1
M3D
M3D Pro

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:39 pm

Video of actually removing the build plate, live and removing a part. Along with doing a quick impact test of using a hammer on it.

https://vimeo.com/179515969

Please Note: The prototype build plate is shown in the video, while the production build plates are black.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:51 am

Here are the thermal characteristics charts of using averages from 3 runs each, with negligible deviation between the runs.

Touch controller Bed Temp was set to 100c,

Temperature of BTSN2 was measured by a Fluke Contact Temperature Probe, in the center of the build plate. on top of BuildTak sheet.

Build chamber lid was not installed during any tests, however front and side doors were closed.

We never could get the surface to higher than 84.1c, and if we attempted to raise the bed temp to 110c, we receive a board error, I assume that is because we are still running Motion Firmware 1.1.4

We have borosilicate glass plate sourced locally, however that may not be representative of the stock borosilicate build plate.

Need to analyze the data to a new stock Raise3D borosolicate build plate along with the MIC6 plate, each with and without the BuildTak film installed. We have borosilicate glass plate sourced locally, however that may not be representative of the stock borosilicate build plate.

Thermal Transfer Characteristics v3.jpg
Thermal Transfer - Heating to 100c

Thermal Dissipation Characteristics v3.jpg
Thermal Dissipation - Cooling to 33c

UPDATED: Charts to show borosilicate glass plate.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:44 pm

UPDATED : Thermal Characteristics to include borosilicate glass build plate.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:50 pm

We thank everyone for your support of the new build plate! We're working on a new video to show the manufacturing using the Amada 4000w laser cutter and it will introduce the other co-founder.

Quick update, We're waiting on heavier poly bags & a different shipping box design to reduce packing materials, shipping weight and in turn reduce shipping cost to Europe. We'll refund the differences in lower shipping cost.

AR_LA

Postby AR_LA » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:28 pm

I'm mostly just concerned about getting the best heat transfer from the pcb to the build plate, while still being able to easily remove the plate.

In my experience with super soft silicone, the adhesion of the silicone itself sometimes overpowers the adhesive which is very annoying. And I'm not for intentionally creating hotspots. That's probably my main interest in this, I'm hoping to be able to achieve higher actual plate temp at the same "setting" for polycarbonate.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:11 pm

AR_LA so are you going with full plate 100% coverage with conductive sheets?

AR_LA

Postby AR_LA » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:04 pm

No, with that much coverage, I'd be way too concerned about damaging things when removing the plate.

Doing some research right now, considering just using a soft temper copper foil on the bottom. Even thermal transfer adhesives have relatively poor conductivity. Maybe I'll go with copper, then full silicone, then the plate. Or just copper below the plate. Or just the plate.

I'll probably start with one, and just try different things.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi Folks, we have a few build plates that something didn't quite go right with the Amada laser, and have a little too much carbon scoring on just one end of one side for my liking. It was either cutting speed, power, focus or a combination. If your going to be using an adhesive surface, they will be fine. The only issue would be if you are going to print directly on the both sides of the plate, with glue stick or magigoo. So if anyone would like one of those at a deeply reduced cost, PM me.

BTW, We've already made arrangements to cut the next ones with an abrasive water jet system.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:57 pm

New bed working well, very flat and a little flexible. My only concern is when you fail or stop a print after a thin first layer, it sticks very tightly and you must be very careful to get it off without gouging. Using hairspray for adhesion so cleaning with alcohol help get the thin stuff off.

as you can see it easily passed my full flat bed test print.
Attachments
NewBedFlatTest.jpg
Last edited by walshlg on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks for sharing the info Lyle.

We are improving the cut quality, by changing from the Amada 4000w laser to a FLOW water jet.

Return to “Hardware”