ED3 Volcano Compatibility? Settings?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
IdaPrint

ED3 Volcano Compatibility? Settings?

Postby IdaPrint » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi all,

New here. Before I purchase the N2+ I want to ensure that the ED3 volcano hotend is compatible with this printer. I intend to print very large objects that need excellent layer adhesion (strength) but don't need very high resolution. Additionally the volcano hotend theoretically will cut my print times in half.

So:

1) Is the ED3 Volcano Hotend compatible with the N2+ without significant modification?

2) What settings might I need to change to allow the volcano to work correctly on the N2+?

Really hoping someone has done this already.

Thanks,

IdaPrint

Jetguy

Re: ED3 Volcano Compatibility? Settings?

Postby Jetguy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:51 pm

No, that hotend (E3D let alone the Volcano) is not compatible, not in the slightest.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:47 pm

3D solex has a new type off internal core heating system nozzle that fits with rasie. I have a set from 0.1 to 2.0mm. What size did you intend to use and with what filament? Mabey i can do some test for you, and for me because i have not tested them much yet.

http://3dsolex.com/

swampy

Postby swampy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:49 pm

be nice to see this set up when done just looking at the solex and looking how it fits in and all the parts you need

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:57 pm

swampy wrote:be nice to see this set up when done just looking at the solex and looking how it fits in and all the parts you need

You just have to change the nozzle the same way as normal.

swampy

Postby swampy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:41 pm

so no extra hot ends or bit just straight nozzle swap and calibrations like the sound of that im running .08 nozzle now

IdaPrint

Postby IdaPrint » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Trhuster wrote:3D solex has a new type off internal core heating system nozzle that fits with rasie. I have a set from 0.1 to 2.0mm. What size did you intend to use and with what filament? Mabey i can do some test for you, and for me because i have not tested them much yet.

http://3dsolex.com/

Hi which product from Solex are you referencing? (Product name) I plan to use ABS filament, 1.75mm. I'm a newbie here but I assume a larger nozzle diameter (IE 2mm) will provide more material extruded? If that's the case then 2mm is the size I would use. Educate me ;). And Thanks!

IdaPrint

Postby IdaPrint » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:42 am

It looks like you were referencing the Solex Matchless, looks pretty cool. I wonder what speeds the Raise3d can handle as far as extruding. Is it possible to use a 2mm nozzle with only 1.75mm filament? I suppose the max that the Raise3d could do is a 1.2mm nozzle?. Print speeds could be as low as 60mm/sec and still print quite a bit faster then standard. Has anyone tried this, is it feasible? Thanks.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:02 am

Remember in 3D printing, the plastic must cool and solidify before you move too far on down the path and definitely before the next layer. If you retain too much heat and it takes too long to become solid, your layers and part will distort. Larger nozzle is more plastic and more plastic retains more heat and has less surface area to cool it compared to internal volume.

Sorry, the limit is not how fast can you extrude.
3D printing and extruding are different. Yes, you extrude to 3D print, but there's a lot more factors in 3D printing than just squirting hot plastic.

IdaPrint

Postby IdaPrint » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:35 am

Jetguy wrote:Remember in 3D printing, the plastic must cool and solidify before you move too far on down the path and definitely before the next layer. If you retain too much heat and it takes too long to become solid, your layers and part will distort. Larger nozzle is more plastic and more plastic retains more heat and has less surface area to cool it compared to internal volume.

Sorry, the limit is not how fast can you extrude.
3D printing and extruding are different. Yes, you extrude to 3D print, but there's a lot more factors in 3D printing than just squirting hot plastic.

Good point, however I can think of some prints where the extrusion would be limited before layer cooling and adhesion are an issue. Think of a giant spiral, at 2mm wouldn't you be extruding a ridiculous amount of filament especially with moderate to high speeds? Solex mentions extrusion speed as a limitation on the UM2 actually. Your thoughts?

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:21 am

IdaPrint wrote:It looks like you were referencing the Solex Matchless, looks pretty cool. I wonder what speeds the Raise3d can handle as far as extruding. Is it possible to use a 2mm nozzle with only 1.75mm filament? I suppose the max that the Raise3d could do is a 1.2mm nozzle?. Print speeds could be as low as 60mm/sec and still print quite a bit faster then standard. Has anyone tried this, is it feasible? Thanks.

Yes it Solex Matchless i have. http://3dsolex.com/matchless

I can't say much about performance yet, but i shall do some tests with some different sizes off nozzles and ABS asap.

Matthew Lozano

Postby Matthew Lozano » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:23 pm

Might want to replace the extruder drive while your at it, the faster you move plastic the harder the extruder drive has to work. The stock drive can be made to work at normal extrusion rates but you might run in to issues at a higher flow, even with a Volcano.
Not to plug the Bondtech too much but it would work great with Volcano I suspect.:)

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:30 pm

Matthew Lozano wrote:Might want to replace the extruder drive while your at it, the faster you move plastic the harder the extruder drive has to work. The stock drive can be made to work at normal extrusion rates but you might run in to issues at a higher flow, even with a Volcano.
Not to plug the Bondtech too much but it would work great with Volcano I suspect.:)

This is abit funny. Have you seen who the guy is that started the Project Bondtech Extruder thread? :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=181

Matthew Lozano

Postby Matthew Lozano » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:34 pm

Yes thank you for that, its a fantastic upgrade, really happy with it.
Only wish R3D will hurry up and realize that a fixed distance extruder is not going to fly for long, surprised it has gone on this long.

IdaPrint

Postby IdaPrint » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Trhuster wrote:
This is abit funny. Have you seen who the guy is that started the Project Bondtech Extruder thread? :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=181

Haha! Thanks. Anxious to see your results with the Solex matchless.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:47 pm

I will start another thread with more info this weekend if i am up too it. But this is my first few minutes with ABS at 260c and 0.6 nozzle and layer height 0.45mm. Speed in Simplify3d is 60mm/s, outline 50%.

https://youtu.be/ehmQ_lKkmu8

IdaPrint

Postby IdaPrint » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:34 am

Trhuster wrote:I will start another thread with more info this weekend if i am up too it. But this is my first few minutes with ABS at 260c and 0.6 nozzle and layer height 0.45mm. Speed in Simplify3d is 60mm/s, outline 50%.

Hey, that looks awesome! So far so good. I wonder about very large nozzle sizes. Looking forward to your thread. (If your up to it haha)

Thanks again.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Trhuster wrote:I will start another thread with more info this weekend if i am up too it. But this is my first few minutes with ABS at 260c and 0.6 nozzle and layer height 0.45mm. Speed in Simplify3d is 60mm/s, outline 50%.

So a year or two later, are you still using the Solex nozzles? Did you need to do anything other than screw it in (change Z height, use some kind of seal after screwed in, etc). I want to get a 1.0 and a 1.5mm nozzle, and saw the Solex on Amazon. I just dont want to waste time and money if it wont work. I do have the 0.8mm from the R3D store, and it's very nice for vase mode cups and objects.

Thanks
Matt

Return to “Hardware”