Motion Controller Board Wiring

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
JohnSays

Motion Controller Board Wiring

Postby JohnSays » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:45 pm

I took the motion controller boards out of my N2s to solder on the 1M resistors. I found that the power wires in the captive screw terminals are tinned. It is my understanding that tinning these wires is a potential fire hazard. Tinned wires will tighten down just fine -- seemingly. However, over time, and not that much time, the tinning will flow slowly and allow the pressure on the wires to become less and therefore the contact with the terminal will lessen. I am going to remove the tinning and reinstall the wires.

So, because I am still new to 3D printer mechanics, and because a 3D printer company installed them tinned, I am posting this to ask if I am wrong in the previous paragraph. Am I?
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Jetguy

Re: Motion Controller Board Wiring

Postby Jetguy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm

#1 you are correct
#2 I pointed this out during the Kickstarter to Raise 3D
#3 my newest machine, as of last year (N2 Plus) was correctly untinned.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 pm

I will say this, Raise 3D used "right sized" terminals, and by that, I mean oversized properly.
This means less heating in the first place, better contact, and the lesser chance of a failure than many of the cheap printer that fail.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Okay, thanks. I was close to deleting this post knowing that I could not be wrong in this. However, I decided to leave it as other interested users will need to be aware of this. I also hoped it would be you who answered! That gives weight to the situation IMO.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Return to “Hardware”