when I hit start print the print head doesnt move

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Francisco munoz

when I hit start print the print head doesnt move

Postby Francisco munoz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:44 pm

so ive checked all the wires they seem secure ive done the latest updates it was working fine then one day (2 days ago) it stopped I spoke with dustin from raise about a separate issue I did the trouble shooting but still printer acts normal but doesn't move it will only move if I tap the command on screen what can it be the ribbon connector is on good any ideas out there.

Jetguy

Re: when I hit start print the print head doesnt move

Postby Jetguy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:32 pm

#1 we know the machine moves because jogging works "move if I tap the command on screen"
#2 Sounds like you had temperature related issue at one point.
#3 The starting gcode of most prints has wait points that do not execute the next line of gcode UNTIL the current line of gcode is completed. In this case, the normal starting gcode created by Ideamaker looks like this.
;Sliced by ideaMaker 3.1.0.1545, 2018-04-15 09:19:50 UTC-0400
;Dimension: 205.000 205.000 205.000 0.400
;Extruder Offset #1: 25.000 0.000
;Filament Diameter #1: 1.750
;Filament Diameter #2: 1.750
;Filament Compensation #1: 100.00
;Filament Compensation #2: 100.00
;Filament Density #1: 1240.00
;Filament Density #2: 1240.00
;Model Gap: 0.000
M221 T0 S100.00
M140 S50.00 This command sets the desired bed temp thus turning on the bed heater
M104 T0 S230.00 This command sets the desired extruder temp thus turning on the heater if actual temp is less than set temp
M109 T0 S230.00 This is the command that waits until hotend reaches that temp before moving to the next line of gcode http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M109.html
T0
M190 S50.00 This waits for the bed to reach the set temp before moving to the next line. http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M190.html
G21
G90
M82
M107
G28 X0 Y0 This line represents the first actual movement of the system to move the head to reach the XY homing switches
G28 Z0
G1 Z15.0 F9000.0

So as such, if you have a heater or heated bed problem and for some reason they are not hitting the set temps or you are just not observing what they are temp reporting and seeing if they are heating, then yes, the machine is following the gcode and stuck waiting to reach temp. So again, the thing to observe here and actually troubleshoot is, when you start a print, observe this screen and are the temperatures rising and getting near the setpoint temp? It also waits for a few consecutive time periods of sampling for the temp to "stabilize" before moving the next line of gcode.
Raise3D temperature indicators.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm

The immediate concern is you:
#1 indicated a potential warning sign of a failed or failing ribbon cable previously
#2 you checked it, but truth is, I know you don't even know how to check it and without the required safety board, you are playing guessing games.
#3 people are just only now getting safety boards, not even sure if you knew you needed one- let alone installed it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6580

Why does all that matter? Because you need to stop right now and fix this before you cause a major oveheat AKA thermal runaway and damage your hotend or worse.

#1 power off the machine, wait 10 minutes (yes, I know, painful waiting game) and then turn on the printer.
If you get a mintemp error, this means you have a failing ribbon cable in some way shape or form.
In fact, as a rule for safety, we need to flat out tell every user of this machine that if they ever get a temp error system they must perform this power off, wait, and then power on check. Without the safety board, this is the narrow event where the factory mainboard can detect this failure. I cannot say this enough, if you have a weird problem and you have or have not installed a safety board, either way power off the printer, wait at least 10 minutes, then power on. This FORCES key safety checks!!!

#2 This is not proof positive that you do not have a ribbon cable failure. I have seen and can reproduce a printer that given one time of the cable making connection and "charging" the circuit, the ribbon cable is broken but the mainboard does not discharge this voltage on the ADC pins and still boots up thinking all is OK when it's not. As such, test 2 is command an extruder preheat of ONLY 50C. Watch and observe the reported temperature rise. If it does not rise from the initial starting point within the first 10 seconds, immediately set the temp back to 0 to disable the preheat. This indicates that there is some type of failure, either the heater did not heat or the reported temp is false, and the heater did in fact heat, but was not registered. Again, this points at the ribbon cable failure.

Francisco munoz

Postby Francisco munoz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Jetguy you made my day vary detailed description I was about to take everything apart to rebuild wich could have created a new problem thank you a million grateful you answer this post ill let you know how it goes.

Francisco munoz

Postby Francisco munoz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:48 pm

yes it gets to that point hits and stabilizes at right temp then starts to go 1 up and 1 down then stabilize but nothing after that the gcode says exactly like you put only difference is m92 e415 I installed a bondtech extruder so that was required all the wires seem to be in tact and file I'm printing has worked at least 15 times before all these issues began should I do a factory reset and change the values so bondtech works or what now still at same point I started the bed and extruder heat up but not normal and no movement on print head
Last edited by Francisco munoz on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Francisco munoz

Postby Francisco munoz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 pm

and when I hit stop it stays loading stop I have to go in and reset machine don't know if that help you or not and this time I set for 215 it stops at 212 heat bed I set to 0

Return to “Hardware”