Yet another spool mount mod

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
zemlin

Yet another spool mount mod

Postby zemlin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:08 am

I sometimes splice a few spools of material together when running large parts, plus the standard spool mounts and locations don't always work with non-standard spool sizes, so I decided to move my spools to the outside, and didn't want to use any table space. I rarely print with the top removed, so overhead wouldn't work well for me - and with my N2+ it would be too high up.
IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

The parts I printed will accommodate a 12" diameter spool, but I have also attached STL files for a shorter leg if you only want to run 8" spools.

The core on mine is a piece of 1" PVC pipe 9" long. I mounted the legs 8" apart - the pockets are 7/16" deep - so the legs need to flex out slightly when hanging a spool. I did that so it wouldn't rattle.

I used a 3/16" drill bit to drill through the side rail for the guide tube - after drilling through 7/8" from the bottom of the side frame I angled the drill down to about 30 degrees so the tube can come through at an angle.

With the spools removed there is no interference with the door.

Hardware for mounting is M4x20 screws and nylon lock nuts.
Attachments
spool-support-pair-8.stl
(447.64 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
spool-support-pair.stl
(426.45 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by zemlin on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

zemlin

Re: Yet another spool mount mod

Postby zemlin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:15 am

Spool-Legs.JPG

The mounting face of the legs is angled at 2 degrees to match the draft on the side of the printer, so they won't be perpendicular to anything when you import the STL.

and here's the STL for my 12" spool. It fits on a standard N2+ spool holder, but you have to be careful not to let the sides spread when loading it up - or squeeze them together before hanging the spool inside the printer. It won't fit in an N2.

I use the hardware from an eSun spool to screw two halves together. I printed mine from PETG.

12inspool.JPG
Attachments
12in-spool.stl
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 1 time

Return to “Hardware”