Extruder switched off message

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
richard_p_online

Extruder switched off message

Postby richard_p_online » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:58 pm

I've just received a Raise3D N1 printer, but when I turn it on all I get is 'Board Error1: Extruder switched off. Restart'. I've retarted it many times but just get the same message. I've also selected safe mode, but can't access anything other than the basic settings, or the Print option (which is disabled anyway). From the basic settings options I've done a factory reset, but it's made no difference, same message every time I turn on. Had the machine 2 days! HELP!

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Extruder switched off message

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:15 pm

It is a dual-extruder machine or single? If single, please try to update the motion board firmware to be the latest single version firmware on our website.
Or directly make contact with us: help.raise3d.com

richard_p_online

Postby richard_p_online » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi Vicky, thanks for the reply. As it happens just after I posted the message I found a thread about this error message so checked the thremo-couple connections twice, the first time just visually and by giving the wires a gentle tug before trying to start the machine again - no go. I then removed the wires, tested the units with a meter to confirm they were not open circuit and then re-connected them. This time the machine started and I was able to to do some printing. Result! Once again, thank you for your prompt reply :D

Richard

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:36 am

Thanks for you update as well. It may can help others in future who meets with the same error.

richard_p_online

Postby richard_p_online » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:46 am

Hi again, The problem of an extruder being turned off has returned! Over the weekend everytime I try to turn on the machine (an N1 dual extruder) I get the 'Board error: extruder switched off, etc. Restart ' message - EVERY TIME. It has taken a couple of hours to get the machine to start each time having checked the thermo couples repeatedly and every time they're OK. Yesterday, I exported the serial log in safe mode, but by the time I'd done that the machine booted up and ran perfectly (as it always does once its started). Today, the same problem, but I wondered if the ambient temp of the room might be an issue (it's a cold room - always!), so blew warm air from a hair-dryer onto the hot ends (and thermo-couples I should think) for about 20 seconds and then turned the machine on - it started first time. I then turned it off, left it for an hour and tried again without the warm air - no go; I applied warm air and it started! I've done this repeatedly through the day with the same results every time - cold: no go, warm: start OK. The question therefore is: why is the machine so susceptible to a cold room? I can understand the problems a cold room could/will cause during printing, but surely the machine should actually start! I have a laser-cutting machine in the same room and that fires up without a problem, the basic control electronics are pretty-much the same so it's only the material control parts (hot end thermo-couple circuits) that are causing the problem. If warming things up when it's cold is all that's needed, I can work around that, but it just seems a bit odd when the unit will warm things up substantially anyway! Learning all the time...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:08 am

When the ambient temperature goes lower than 5C, the thermocouples will detect a minimal temperature error.
Actually we will more recommend to run the machine in the space which is over 15C.

richard_p_online

Postby richard_p_online » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi Vicky, now that is a useful piece of information that should have been supplied with the machine - not everyone works in a wam office. A simple warning that below 5C the thermocouples will register a minimal tempreature error and prevent the machine from starting on the first page of the starting the machine section would suffice. I wonder how many other users have wasted hours of development time testing connections and stripping out thermo-couples when all that was wrong was the ambient temperature? It's great to have a Forum such as this with knowledgeable persons such as yourself to solve a hiuge array of problems (thank you), but this ambient temperature problem is so fundamental it should be made clear in the machine literature thus leaving this forum for the more technically challenging issues. Anyhow, today the machine booted up all on its own first time so I guess it was warm enough. BTW, I am impressed with how quiet the machine is when it's printing, all I can hear is the cooling fans. Maybe if I pushed up the printing speed the volume might change, but at the default settings it's great. Thanks again.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks for your feedback.
We will update the Tech Specs and add using environment requirements soon.

Return to “Hardware”