Retrofit N2 with Pro series features

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Iamkar33m

Retrofit N2 with Pro series features

Postby Iamkar33m » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:39 am

Raise3D team,

I noticed that the new Pro series printers are up for pre-order on your website. I couldn't help but notice the similarities with the N2 and the new Pro series printers. The only 2 real features I care about are the filament runout sensor and the electronic lifting system for dual nozzles. Is there going to be any way to retrofit these to the current N2 series printers? The tool head looks very similar, down to the BondTech upgrade that many of us do for the extruders.

Best,
Kareem

Evildr

Re: Retrofit N2 with Pro series features

Postby Evildr » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:52 am

I would definitely be interested in purchasing a upgrade kit for the N2+ if they were available.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:05 pm

I would also very very interested in the possibility of upgrading my VERY recently purchased N2 to the Pro specs. Most especially the nozzle lifting function mentioned above. Please let us know if this will be possible at some point.

Jeff

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Me too! Of course!

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:43 pm

I want the camera upgrade. Been waiting for a year.

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:06 pm

I'd hate to see the cost to retrofit the old ones. you are likely looking at a couple grand to do it.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

usagi

Postby usagi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:05 pm

would love if upgrade parts were available. dual lifter head, controller board, runout sensor for sure.

Iamkar33m

Postby Iamkar33m » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:33 am

EldRick wrote:I want the camera upgrade. Been waiting for a year.

That too... we've been promised the camera was in development for OUR printer for the longest time. It's kind of a swift kick in the nads to include it in the "next generation" printer while leaving us high & dry.

Noren

Postby Noren » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:15 am

Iamkar33m wrote:

That too... we've been promised the camera was in development for OUR printer for the longest time. It's kind of a swift kick in the nads to include it in the "next generation" printer while leaving us high & dry.

Actually I think that regarding to Swedish consumer rights I can return the printer due to this. Since the printer doesn’t work as advertised and doesn’t functions to my expectations. I don’t say I will. But I could.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 am

Even if the base and the frame of the Pro2 are very similar to the N2, both printers are essentially different, targeting a different market, with different requirements and with a different price point. The cost of a possible upgrade from a N2 to a Pro2 printer would be extremely expensive.
Nevertheless, we are gathering all your feedback, and we are looking at the possibility of offering to N series Customers an upgrade of the extruder, end-stops and bed system, as well as the promised web-cam.
We will be working now in two parallel projects:
1. Analyse and test the upgrades from 3rd parties that are being recommended to N series printers (the most popular example is the BondTech extruder). Once approved, its installation will not void the warranty and, possibly, we will also include them in our portfolio.
2. We will check the feasibility and cost of using some components of Pro2 in N series and, if we are successful, propose an upgrade package.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:24 pm

I look forward to what is decided; assuming it is decided to provide an upgrade path!
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Even if the base and the frame of the Pro2 are very similar to the N2, both printers are essentially different, targeting a different market, with different requirements and with a different price point. The cost of a possible upgrade from a N2 to a Pro2 printer would be extremely expensive.
Nevertheless, we are gathering all your feedback, and we are looking at the possibility of offering to N series Customers an upgrade of the extruder, end-stops and bed system, as well as the promised web-cam.
1. Analyse and test the upgrades from 3rd parties that are being recommended to N series printers (the most popular example is the BondTech extruder). Once approved, its installation will not void the warranty and, possibly, we will also include them in our portfolio.
2. We will check the feasibility and cost of using some components of Pro2 in N series and, if we are successful, propose an upgrade package.

Could you please give a time frame? I am in the process of purchasing a 3D printer either from Raise3D or from another brand. The sooner I have all the information to make an informed decision the better. Thanks

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 am

newraiseuser wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Even if the base and the frame of the Pro2 are very similar to the N2, both printers are essentially different, targeting a different market, with different requirements and with a different price point. The cost of a possible upgrade from a N2 to a Pro2 printer would be extremely expensive.

Could you please give a time frame? I am in the process of purchasing a 3D printer either from Raise3D or from another brand. The sooner I have all the information to make an informed decision the better. Thanks

We are doing our best effort to have news about this before the end of May.

Evan

Postby Evan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:30 am

I think a trade in program is more feasible. Either that or try and sell your current N2 and buy the new Pro.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:07 pm

I tend to agree given the changes are so extensive and involve the #1 biggest pain, wiring.
I don't just means a wire here, a wire there.

The new board is expecting 3 wire endstops (power, ground, signal) where as the old board was 2 wire.
You need to run the new bundle to the extruder and that's no picnic.
You need to run separate power to each of the new stepper drivers, and signal to the mainboard, and then the stepper motor no longer plugs into the mainboard and instead into the new stepper drivers.
And that's not even the mechanical changes.

Basically, it would be take your printer down to the frame, remove all existing electronics except the PSU. Then start rebuilding and rewiring using the new components.

That said, to me, the part I most care about is the electronics. I still would consider buying a package that included the mainboard and external stepper drivers. I'd be really curious why that combo would or would not work with a software update to an existing LCD "box". The reason is, even though the board changed design slightly in the LCD controller sub system, everything spec wise and demonstrated to date says the change is more about the software raisepack and yes, the new hardware is nice, but nice VS required is a different thing. Either way, not happy to wait until May for an answer.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Personally I'd be happy if they would just release the looooong-promised camera - I have little/no interest in the other upgrades.

jvingaard

Postby jvingaard » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:40 pm

One change to the Pro is a new buildplate from Buildtak, The price is 170.00 EUR.
The FlexPlate from Buildtak, is not yet in there shop , but can be ordered at Buildtak by mail.

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Thu May 03, 2018 4:23 pm

Noren wrote:
Iamkar33m wrote:

Actually I think that regarding to Swedish consumer rights I can return the printer due to this. Since the printer doesn’t work as advertised and doesn’t functions to my expectations. I don’t say I will. But I could.

Could you elaborate on these dont work as advertised and does not fucntion as expected as I also had a machine from 3d Prima purcased at the 2016 TCT conference and have had untold problems... look up my user name. Was wonderign what we have in common

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Thu May 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Noren wrote:
Iamkar33m wrote:

Could you elaborate on these dont work as advertised and does not fucntion as expected as I also had a machine from 3d Prima purcased at the 2016 TCT conference and have had untold problems... look up my user name. Was wonderign what we have in common

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Thu May 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Vicki what problems would the new machine solve as I got mine with the promise it could prinat all manner of materials and if you look up my username I have over 100 posts asking for help as its does none of these materials

Return to “Hardware”