Temperature control in the N2(+) enclosure

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
zemlin

Temperature control in the N2(+) enclosure

Postby zemlin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:00 am

My next mod project is to add heating/cooling to the N2(+) printer enclosure. I'll keep this thread going as a running log of the project.
My printers live in the garage. It's attached to the house which tempers the thermal fluctuations, but between winter and summer the temperature in there can go from 40°F to 85°F (~5°C - 30°C). I've been monitoring the temperature inside my N2+ near the build platform and have seen temps a little above 40C even in cooler weather, so it's not going to take much to boost it up to 45° or 50°C. My bigger concern for now is as the temps in the garage go up in the summer, the inside of the enclosure could go much hotter if the ambient is up by 20°C or more.

My first printer, a Makergear M2, was not enclosed at all. When I moved it into the garage I knew I needed to build an enclosure for it. My experience with the evolution of that enclosure is a good basis for modding the Raise printers.

Here's the kit I have lined up. Not pictured is a 6" square of .03" stainless steel which will be a heat shield.
IMG_0847.jpg

There will be (5) 80mm fans involved. Two will be to keep the air inside circulating. One will blow on the 200W ceramic heater. The last two will be mounted in the lid and exhaust when cooling is required. Since the machines are in the garage, I'm not too concerned about noise added by the 5 fans, although these are pretty quiet. I used the same fans in my M2 enclosure.

The temperature controller is a $16 unit from Amazon that I've used with good success on my original enclosure. This will be mounted in the plastic panel right above the touch screen.

the small black blob next to the fan guards in the photo above is a light socket for the heater (the large black blob).

I'll be modding the N2 first because it's a lot easier to handle than the N2+. I'll be working on it when I have time. Once it is finished and proven I'll move the N2+ to the floor and spend a Saturday getting everything installed.

In addition to photos, I'll be making some tools and printing some parts. I'll post files for those here as well.

I have a Dremel with a router base. I'll use that with an 1/8" endmill and 3D printed templates to make the cutouts for the fans and controller.

That's all for now. Stay tuned.

Return to “Hardware”