heat sink adhesive

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
awolf

heat sink adhesive

Postby awolf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 pm

One of the small heatsinks on the motion control board daughter cards is very loose (E1 motor) and I should stick it back on. I can get thermally conductive tape for this, but wanted to check what the temp. range for the adhesive should be. Since it's vertical, I don't trust using a thermal mastic on it.

Jetguy

Re: heat sink adhesive

Postby Jetguy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 am

You'd hope it stays at 60C max, 80C is top of most electronics, not sure what a A4988 thermal cutoff temp is but you should never be near it. Second part is, the extruder steppers are nearest the blower with highest airflow. What you do not want to have happen is that heatsink move and short pins.

Given the choice, knowing full well that the extruder stepper is the smallest motor and lowest current, knowing the airflow, if in doubt, no heatsink is better than a heatsink on that driver that shifts and shorts it.

awolf

Re: heat sink adhesive

Postby awolf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 am

Thanks for the quick reply. 80C will not be a problem; the tape I will use is rated at a constant 120C with up to 250C for short duration. In any case, I'll check on it over the next few weeks to make sure that it's well adhered. I agree about the dangers of shorting.

Return to “Hardware”