V2 Hot End Information and Q&A

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
firesped

Re: V2 Hot End Information and Q&A

Postby firesped » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:21 am

I've had some issues with model orientation. I think I need to print out my current fan mod but I need to figure out the settings for esun ePC so I can do that.
RL name: Michael Nolen

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Andy Cohen wrote:So far, so very good. It powered though toolpaths which were guaranteed backwash clogs in V1. It's a 10 hour print and I'm feeling good about it completing.
Prototype Supply, Black PLA using the same profile in Simplify3D that I used with V1.
Looking good!

The 15 hour print printed without an extruder problem at all! YAY!! Happy dance V2! Which IMO should have been in the original delivery...

Also... I just realized the 2 nozzles I ordered with the V2 upgrade were not included????

The print however it did not come out perfect... seems my object file was still a bit much for this machine. One of the linear bearings in a Y axis carriage came out of the carriage during the wee hours of the morning last night. The print is still usable but you can see the layer where that happened. The bearing slid back in but I see no set screw or other means for locking it into the carriage.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:12 am

Andy Cohen wrote:
Andy Cohen wrote:So far, so very good. It powered though toolpaths which were guaranteed backwash clogs in V1. It's a 10 hour print and I'm feeling good about it completing.
Prototype Supply, Black PLA using the same profile in Simplify3D that I used with V1.
Looking good!

The 15 hour print printed without an extruder problem at all! YAY!! Happy dance V2! Which IMO should have been in the original delivery...

Also... I just realized the 2 nozzles I ordered with the V2 upgrade were not included????

The print however it did not come out perfect... seems my object file was still a bit much for this machine. One of the linear bearings in a Y axis carriage came out of the carriage during the wee hours of the morning last night. The print is still usable but you can see the layer where that happened. The bearing slid back in but I see no set screw or other means for locking it into the carriage.

Andy, it was a separate order from the hot end order. It will be shipped out around end of this month. You will get email notification of shipping information.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:33 pm

Another very long (15 hours) and very easy to backwash print completed. Using black eSun PLA. V2 is GOOD! :-)

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:39 pm

Andy Cohen wrote:Another very long (15 hours) and very easy to backwash print completed. Using black eSun PLA. V2 is GOOD! :-)

Nice to hear. I have waited a long time to try out Colorfabb bronzefill soo i really hopes it works. I totally failed to print bronzefill with Clone R1 when i tried last time.

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:19 am

I printed Bronzefill with a beta version V2 some time ago, no problems.

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:39 am

Is there an easy way to change (up) the temperature for all the files I have stored in local memory, without having to reslice everything and upload again

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:57 am

rgriesbeck wrote:Is there an easy way to change (up) the temperature for all the files I have stored in local memory, without having to reslice everything and upload again

If you don't want to slice and upload the files again, you can input the nozzle temperature in Tune tab on touch screen when the print starts.

rlballard

Postby rlballard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:57 pm

Julia,
With filled material, how frequently do you replace nozzles? I have not received my V-2 as of yet and have just recently worked through the processing issues, which were my learning curve by the way, and I notice the nozzle on the outside appears to be more rounded off rather than pointed like the new one. I have now achieved very promising success with the V-1 nozzle with my longest print running 34-hours followed by a 29-hour print with no issues what so ever.

Just as an FYI for the community...

I have processed all 3rd party filaments very successfully from:
- MeltInk (PLA/PHA, PLA)
- Hatchbox (PLA)
- eSun (PETG)
- Quantum (PLA)

This totals approximately 120-hours of running time with the V-1, Simplify 3D and learing to understand the process variables impact on the product produced. My confidence level is now much higher, this of course was a direct result of the community and R3D team support which I am very thankful to have behind me. I have yet to work through 3D Solutech PLA, but that will be coming in the near future.

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:50 pm

rlballard wrote:Julia,
With filled material, how frequently do you replace nozzles?

I generally don't use filled materials too often these days, and to answer your question, I change nozzles when they get unusably clogged or damaged such that print quality becomes noticeably degraded.

I used to pooh-pooh reports/warnings of nozzle damage, but this article was a real eye-opener:

http://e3d-online.com/is-carbon-killing-your-nozzle

I don't know if similar studies have been done on metal- or glass-filled materials, but I'll certainly be mindful of nozzle wear when using carbon-fiber material after reading it.

Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:20 pm

Can anybody tell me the weight of the V2 extruder (for shipping)?

rlballard

Postby rlballard » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks Julia,
It would be nice to have a steel nozzle for the N2. The dddmaterial kick-starter failed so it looks the their "Tungsten Premium Nozzle for precise 3D print results. For abrasive and high temperature print processes where brass & steel fails" will be a ways off. I don't know about the microswiss efforts on new nozzles that Jetguy talk about...
Sooo we just have to be patient and see what comes down the line for the N2. I have been apprehensive on using filled material like bronze and copper as I am not sure of wear factors on the nozzle and only have one spare...
BB

dhylands

Postby dhylands » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:30 pm

E3D has hardened steel nozzles
http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Extra-Nozz ... 75mmx0.4mm

Here's a photo: From left to right: V1 spare nozzle, V2 nozzle, and E3D nozzle.
IMG_20160427_152417.jpg

rlballard

Postby rlballard » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:02 am

Dave,
You're awesome, this fits and works with our system I am assuming? If yes, then I expect the standard E3D-v6 Brass nozzle will work as well....

dhylands

Postby dhylands » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:15 am

I haven't tried it myself. The threaded portion of the E3D nozzle is longer than the threaded portion of the Raised3D nozzle, so it should seal against the thermal barrier. Since the hex doesn't seal against the heater block anyways, it seems to me like this would work fine, but I don't have any experience doing this.

socke

Postby socke » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:04 pm

I just printed a calibration cube with REAL PETG and V2 Hot End - and got an airprint. :(
Click, click, click...
Tomorrow I will clean it and try again with a little bit higher nozzle temperature. But I'm really considering to upgrade my extruder (maybe Bondtech).

@Raise3D: Are you also planning to bring any extruder upgrade in the near future? It would be good, early to know...

treisner

Postby treisner » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:17 pm

I was getting PETG air prints with V2 when I sliced with IdeaMaker 2.1.5. There is a version out today 2.1.6 that seems to have fixed the problem for me. I also had no problem with PETG using S3D to slice.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:45 am

socke wrote:I just printed a calibration cube with REAL PETG and V2 Hot End - and got an airprint. :(
Click, click, click...
Tomorrow I will clean it and try again with a little bit higher nozzle temperature. But I'm really considering to upgrade my extruder (maybe Bondtech).

@Raise3D: Are you also planning to bring any extruder upgrade in the near future? It would be good, early to know...

We are thinking about the extruder upgrade now. However, it will not be any time soon.
For the PETG print, which version of ideaMaker and what settings are you using?

socke

Postby socke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:08 am

I've used ideaMaker 2.1.4.25 but will also update to 2.1.6. Nozzle temperature was 240°C, I will try it again with 250°C. By accident I also used too much retraction (4mm), I will try again with 1mm...

socke

Postby socke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:41 am

OK, just successfully finished the cube. No airprint this time, I will observe this on larger prints.
But I found it's very hard to separate the raft from the part. It's very good bonded. What can I try to improve this, increase Raft Gap from Model?
Further, I had the new IdeaMaker crashing sometimes on closing the Edit Template dialog. Unfortunately I cant reproduce this in the moment...

Return to “Hardware”