motor connectors glued in place?!?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
stewart

motor connectors glued in place?!?

Postby stewart » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 pm

So my X axis is skipping again. Seems to do that when it gets warm. I checked and the fan is blowing fine. But the X being farthest from the fan, perhaps, isn't sufficiently cooled. Support suggested I swap X / Y to see if the skip moves to the Y. However, upon inspection, it seems the cables are glued in place. Any suggestions? I can't imagine how anyone thought that was a good idea.

IMG_4956.JPG

Targo

Re: motor connectors glued in place?!?

Postby Targo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:10 pm

On my N1, the plugs on the heating plate were filled with glue and attached. Presumably, this was done as a transport security. Well meant but poorly solved. I would try to heat the plugs with a hot air blower and try to solve.

ABH

Postby ABH » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 pm

I believe the glue is applied after the plugs were inserted in their sockets. As such, they are not glued in place, but the glue is just applied afterwards to prevent the plugs accidentally come loose. You can just peel off the glue with a screwdriver or some other tool.
But, I think you might have misunderstood the advice from support. It doesn't make sense to swap the connectors, it will never work! The advice might have been to swap the stepper motor driver modules shown on this photo:
XY drivers.jpg

stewart

Postby stewart » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 am

you are correct

Vice Chief

Postby Vice Chief » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:28 pm

The use of hot melt, silicone, and other adhesives to secure connectors is an industry-wide best practice for electronic devices.

Devices like these printers are subjected to significant vibration during the shipping process.

During normal use, the printer vibrates itself.

During handling, repairs, and over time things tend to loosen up. Adhesive prevents this kind of failure.

Here's a good introduction to the topic: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/staking- ... ean-thomas

NASA has a whole standard dedicated to staking: https://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/refer ... 8739-1.pdf

Here's my previous post on the topic. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3735#p19676

Return to “Hardware”