N1 Upgrade

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Stanislav

N1 Upgrade

Postby Stanislav » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:29 pm

If there is a topic in the forum where there are suggestions for Upgrade if there is no let's do it for each model ,and there to write only the interested people without scribblers. And it would be nice to have these topics marked as important and to stay on the top.
Stanislav

there is always a smarter man than you

Squenz

Re: N1 Upgrade

Postby Squenz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:56 pm

overall:
cable chain instead of the silly wire strap

imho, if you want to print extensive jobs or special filaments:

Bondtech DirectDrive Extruder
seperate Cooling Fan which is controlled by the G-Code

Stanislav

Postby Stanislav » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Sqenz thank you for joining.But let us make it clearer for all. photos, links, own improvements as Jetguy made in his posts. Tomorrow I'll take pictures of my personal improvements for N1 and if someone likes something let's ask
Stanislav

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Sorry, i got this wrong. I don't have much to offer, just the cable chain and a universal but very precise (0.05 mm steps) Built Plate shimming system.
Last edited by Squenz on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanislav

Postby Stanislav » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:12 pm

No not wrong any upgrade It is good just show the information to be more detailed if it can take pictures or what you have as information
Stanislav

Stanislav

Postby Stanislav » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 am

So here are some pictures and it was done by me.
Fully aluminum housing,precise grip on the display,perfect fit of the printer,I personally like polished natural material but also anodizing aluminum is a pretty good solution for the appearance.
I was forced to do this because the supplier damaged my new printer for shipping
ImageImage
Stanislav

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Ok, i promised i'll bring something in here....

I was pondering about a solution for my ideas for quite some time, question was, how can i quick change the build surface from, say stock BuildTak on Glass to say, 1mm PEI or 0,4 Garolite, or plain glass without touching any of the carefully adjusted bed height or bed adjustment screws ? using Z-Offset in Ideamaker works for printing, but not for manual operations direct at the machine.

I was looking around, saw in an unrelated search on Thingiverse folks who had printed out shims for the bed height adjuster and other similiar ideas. Not bad, but, when i looked at the rather flimsy bracket of the adjustment screw on my N1 and seeing that the pointy part of the lever of the end stop lever didn't even touch the flat head of the adjustment screw, no, no thanks, no way i would thrust such a contraption being as reliable as want my things to have, not to mention the shear place of the end stop is not where i would want to fiddle around every other change of buildplate.

Well, serveral days later, i was sitting in a traffic jam and i thought about an unfunny task which is waiting in my near future, which is checking and adjusting valve lash on my motorcycle. I was thinking about getting the fitting shims for this job and then it hit me ...

I inherited a double set of valve shims for VW Engines years ago, i never had any need to use these, but, being a swabian, i can't just throw such good things in trash and had it lying in the closet collecting dust. Next day, i digged the set out and gave their dimensions a good look. Diameter is 31mm, Thickness Range is from 3,00 mm up to 4,25 mm in steps of 0,05 mm. Hehe, that's what would feel as good, reliable and repeatable to make it into my machine.

To make this long story shorter...

I came up with a bucket which is mounted instead of the adjustment screw bracket. The bucket holds a base shim with 3,60 mm and the three more shims which go on top of this, allowing to shim from a buildplate thickness from 0,4 mm up to 3,8 mm just by using a small magnet to lift them and throw in another set of shims for a different build plate. Since i have a lot of these, between 6 and 8 each size, i even started to store the individual set togehter with the build plate, so, i just take the set out of the machine and pack it away with the plate and bring in the new plate and it's matched set of shims. Whalla, as quick as changing build plate gets, more precise as it needs to be and with a hundred percent repeatable process. To make things come togehter, i had to fab an angled and offset bracket for the end stop. After some redesigns, it now works like charm and bringing in another build plate isn't the tedious and time consuming job it was for me. Mission accomplished !

I attached pics which show both parts for the upgrade. If anybody is interested, i can upload the stl's.

N1_Shimmed_Endstop.jpg

N1_Shimmed_Endstop_1.jpg

Stanislav

Postby Stanislav » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Squenz It's great if you want put and pictures in real use of the printer ,I think it will be interesting for many people.
Stanislav

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 pm

A pic won't show much of this upgrade, one can barely see the actual parts, because i printed everything in silver/light gray ABS. The bucket disappears nearly complete behind the big z-axis bracket. I'll see if i can snap a pic viewing from the top after homing z-axis.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Stanislav wrote:Fully aluminum housing,precise grip on the display,perfect fit of the printer,I personally like polished natural material but also anodizing aluminum is a pretty good solution for the appearance.

Just out of curiosity, what would one of those aluminum LCD housings run a person, especially if anodized black?

Stanislav

Postby Stanislav » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Jetguy wrote:
Stanislav wrote:Fully aluminum housing,precise grip on the display,perfect fit of the printer,I personally like polished natural material but also anodizing aluminum is a pretty good solution for the appearance.

Just out of curiosity, what would one of those aluminum LCD housings run a person, especially if anodized black?

Basically i do not understand by writing G codes but you can and help me and to others. So i can help with that. and if anyone has an interest he will ask and I will help him, it's so simple

I have one ready for your N3
By the way. it would be nice to write by name no nic name
Stanislav

Return to “Hardware”