Throat tube doesn't tighten

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
jetdillo

Throat tube doesn't tighten

Postby jetdillo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:14 pm

I had to clear a clog in my throat tube this morning. When I went to screw it back in, it screwed in very easily and just kept going and going until the lower vane on the cooling fin assembly touched the top of the heater block. I knew this wasn't right, so I measured the gap between the lower vane and heater block on my right hot-end and screwed the left one down to match it.

In the past, there's always been some tightness and resistance as it was screwed in and it would eventually reach a point where it stopped.
Would this be because I didn't have the nozzle already inserted ?
I had to do full teardown on the hot-end because the clog ended up being in the throat and not the nozzle, so I didn't have the nozzle in the heater block when I screwed the throat back in.

Thanks!

Jetguy

Re: Throat tube doesn't tighten

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 am

Yes, the reason is you didn't have the nozzle inserted. The throat tube and nozzle are what seals together. The nozzle screws in from the bottom and the throat from the top, they meet in the middle. You are at risk for a leak or worse.
Please, please, please study and understand proper hotend assembly. Read this thread top to bottom (even the links) because you too need to be aware of all the related information viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6191

In that long list of information are the 2 official guides- a video and a webpage. Watch the video first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hobwePlokQc

This is the webpage but the video is newer https://www.raise3d.com/pages/instructi ... assembling

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:24 am

Jetguy wrote:Yes, the reason is you didn't have the nozzle inserted. The throat tube and nozzle are what seals together. The nozzle screws in from the bottom and the throat from the top, they meet in the middle. You are at risk for a leak or worse.
Please, please, please study and understand proper hotend assembly. Read this thread top to bottom (even the links) because you too need to be aware of all the related information viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6191

In that long list of information are the 2 official guides- a video and a webpage. Watch the video first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hobwePlokQc

This is the webpage but the video is newer https://www.raise3d.com/pages/instructi ... assembling

Thanks for the link. I managed to get everything back together by following the directions. I printed out the alignment block w/ my right extruder. The set-screw on the side of the heater was completely stuck and won't go in now, cold or hot.
*sigh*
The throat tube is fine and all cleaned out now, so is the nozzle. Looks like I'm staring $80 in the face again for lack of a working set screw though. :(

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Which set screw? The ones for holding the probs of thermocouple and heating rod or the one for fixing the throat tube?

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Which set screw? The ones for holding the probs of thermocouple and heating rod or the one for fixing the throat tube?

The one for fixing the throat tube into the heater block. The ones for holding the thermocouple and heater are fine.
If it's possible to just buy another heater block that would be great.

Id' really rather not have to replace the entire hot-end. I've upgraded both of them to stainless nozzles so even if I bought a brand new one, I'd still have to replace the nozzle it comes with, with my stainless one.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Stainless or coated? I'm asking this because it greatly matters for printing.
Stainless is a poor conductor of heat. The nozzle is heated by heat transfer from the block in the only portion that makes contact- the threads, and then the exposed nozzle tip is often a much lower temperature in operation due to it's exposure and the materials slow conduction.

This is why the V2H nozzle is a coated brass nozzle. The hard outer coating (both inside and outside the entire nozzle) provides the smooth easy to clean and very hard wear surface, but does not impact the thermal conduction between the heat input point (the threads) all the way to the tip.

Again, my point here, there may be reasons a person might choose a stainless nozzle thinking it's better and sadly, I'm concerned it may not print as well under certain conditions. Again, Raise 3D offers the V2H nozzle as an official nozzle, but does not sell a stainless nozzle.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:19 am

jetdillo wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Which set screw? The ones for holding the probs of thermocouple and heating rod or the one for fixing the throat tube?

The one for fixing the throat tube into the heater block. The ones for holding the thermocouple and heater are fine.

Id' really rather not have to replace the entire hot-end. I've upgraded both of them to stainless nozzles so even if I bought a brand new one, I'd still have to replace the nozzle it comes with, with my stainless one.

You can't take it out or fix it in? If can't fix it in, it doesn't matter a lot, since it is for adding another insurance for the throat tube during long-time shipping.
We can sell the heating block individually without the whole hotend. Shoot our sales a mail. They can help arrange for you.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:34 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
jetdillo wrote:

You can't take it out or fix it in? If can't fix it in, it doesn't matter a lot, since it is for adding another insurance for the throat tube during long-time shipping.
We can sell the heating block individually without the whole hotend. Shoot our sales a mail. They can help arrange for you.

Just coming back to this thread after having been out of town a few days.
The latter. I can't tighten it back in. I will contact sales about selling me a couple heater blocks.

Oh, and Jetguy, yes, these are actually the coated nozzles instead of being 100% stainless steel.
JD

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:43 am

The factory setscrews for the throat are brass. Real easy to round out the socket.
I replaced the throat setscrews with these:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#94085a091/
Brass tip so they won't damage the threads - steel body so they'll survive a wrench - plus a bit of high-temp anti-seize just to be sure. You could go with the 3mm length, but I wanted to be sure the socket was full depth.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:15 am

zemlin wrote:The factory setscrews for the throat are brass. Real easy to round out the socket.
I replaced the throat setscrews with these:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#94085a091/
Brass tip so they won't damage the threads - steel body so they'll survive a wrench - plus a bit of high-temp anti-seize just to be sure. You could go with the 3mm length, but I wanted to be sure the socket was full depth.

Sweet!
Thanks for the tip!

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We can sell the heating block individually without the whole hotend. Shoot our sales a mail. They can help arrange for you.

I sent email to sales@raise3d.com a few days ago and haven't received a reply. How do I get in touch with them about this order ?
Should I open a ticket with support first ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:16 pm

jetdillo wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We can sell the heating block individually without the whole hotend. Shoot our sales a mail. They can help arrange for you.

I sent email to sales@raise3d.com a few days ago and haven't received a reply. How do I get in touch with them about this order ?
Should I open a ticket with support first ?

You are in US right? Please PM me you mail address, I will ask our sales team to make contact with you.

Return to “Hardware”