is the printer head block hollow ?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Squenz

is the printer head block hollow ?

Postby Squenz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 am

Hi folks, i have to ask if somebody knows if the big black Alumnium block which carries the whole assembly is hollow or not.

I remember a thread here where someone from R3D stated version 1 of this part has been casted, but V2 is fully CNC machined. Casted is clear, my guess for V2 would be, it's not hollow too, but 'fully machined' can mean something else.

Reason for asking is simple, i'd like to drill and thread some holes in this head to mount an 'univeral' mounting plate with threads to mount a dial gauge holder, a parts fan assembly and one or another accessories to it. If the block would be hollow, it would quite a chore to take everything apart and find the right places in the solid. I even think it would be a good idea for R3D to drill four extra holes while the part is on the mill for production machining. If the user wants to go the extra mile, just tap these holes. Would make life so much easier.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: is the printer head block hollow ?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:01 am

The inner structure of the CNC version is also hollow, almost the same as the milled version but with no draft angle. The wall thickness should be around 3mm.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:22 am

Vicky, thank you so much for answering

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Squenz wrote: i'd like to drill and thread some holes in this head to mount an 'univeral' mounting plate with threads to mount a dial gauge holder.

Good idea!
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Return to “Hardware”